Aquarena Center / Diving for Science

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bicster

Contributor
Reaction score
I took the class this weekend (8/5/2006) with a friend. I can't say enough good things about it. The classroom portion was interesting and the water is beautiful, clear, and full of fish & turtles. The instructors were top notch. It was definitely worth the $220. I hope to go back soon!

Sshhh! We don't want everyone flooding the place down there :)

Seriously, I can't wait to do that class myself. I was scheduled to do it last October, but the class didn't make. Then I wanted to do it on 8/26, but my buddy wants to wait and improve her boutancy skills before trying it. So hopefully some time in September I will finally get to go!

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the report.

The underwater portion of the class starts out with bouyancy & trim skills. It's nothing terribly difficult ... Being properly weighted is key. You also want to make sure all your equipment is clipped off so it's not dangling. Last but not least, you need to be able to get around without using hands to steer. Keep those hands tucked in!

There are three hula-hoops to swim/weave through ... it's OK to touch them as long as you don't drag them with you. Then you descend to a spot on the bottom, stay there a bit, go to the surface, then go back down, hover for a bit, then descend to another designated spot on the bottom.

After that, there's a rectangular PVC frame about 5' long and about 3x3' sitting on the bottom. You have to swim through that without disturbing it too much. The last test involves picking up a metal bar - I'd guess about 5 lbs - and moving it about 5 feet.

Try to be the first group in the water, so your buddy can practice the course as much as possible before the evaluation begins. A few practice runs will make a big difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom