“Aquanauts” tv show logo meaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love the the creativity of thought...... speaking of such, I just had a thought that the horn shaped item might represent a wake behind a boat. This might be supported by the rounding of the right upper and lower corners, as that’s what a wave might do. Does this make more sense than a horn or nose cone?

Whenever I've seen a fish drawn that way, it signified Christianity... A disciple is a "Fisher of Men..."
The "Horn" looks alot like the blue and white Divers Flag...
alpha-dive-flag11-300x173.jpg

The "Horn" looks alot like the blue and white Divers Flag...
View attachment 514314

As near as I can tell, the Alfa flag was not directly associated with diving. It was used to indicate "underwater operations, navigation restricted" to other vessels. It was used more for dredging, cable, and pipe laying operations than diving before around the 1980s. Even when it was used for diving, it was for surface-supplied.

I ran across a reference to its use during speed trials. Ships navigation would be restricted at that time due to the course being run for the trials.

Bob

I ran across a reference to its use during speed trials. Ships navigation would be restricted at that time due to the course being run for the trials.

Yeah, I'm familiar with this as well, I believe in Chapman's Manual (great boatman's reference btw) the Alpha flag refers to a vessel with limited navigation for almost any reason, except on anchor, but would include divers in the water. (i.e. limited propulsion, gear in the water, UW operations, Survey operations, etc...)

I also thought of a horn or trumpet and it made me think of the Greek God Triton. He was a Merman and the son of Poseidon. He carried a trumpet made from a seashell and used it to calm or raise the waves.

In the ancient Greek story of Jason and the Argonauts, Triton assisted the crew of the Argo after it had been driven ashore by storms. He guided them through a difficult passage and back to the open sea. He also provided favorable seas to help them on their way.

The name "Aquanauts" sounds very similar to "Argonauts" so maybe that was the inspiration for the horn?

triton_23138_md.gif

I also thought of a horn or trumpet and it made me think of the Greek God Triton. He was a Merman and the son of Poseidon. He carried a trumpet made from a seashell and used it to calm or raise the waves.

In the ancient Greek story of Jason and the Argonauts, Triton assisted the crew of the Argo after it had been driven ashore by storms. He guided them through a difficult passage and back to the open sea. He also provided favorable seas to help them on their way.

The name "Aquanauts" sounds very similar to "Argonauts" so maybe that was the inspiration for the horn?

triton_23138_md.gif
Very interesting @KathyV..... thanks for sharing.

The shape of the logo horn, more represents a seashell trumpet than anything else and logically makes great sense. I’m going with this theory, as it makes a more interesting story for the logo.

I don't remember this show but I'm intrigued, here is some more information and a DVD:

http://classicmoviesdvd.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=746&filter_name=aquanauts

Keith Larsen and Jeremy Slate starred as two skin divers in this hour-long rip-off of SEA HUNT (from the same producer). Larsen later developed an ear infection in the middle of the season and was replaced with Ron Ely. That's when the series was re-tooled and Ron Ely took Larsen's place, re-titling the series as MALIBU RUN, instantly making the sleepy little beach town famous. This 2-DVD set includes three hour-long episodes: "Night Dive" (November 16, 1960), "The Jeremiah Adventure" (March 1, 1961), "The Double Adventure" (March 29, 1961).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom