Aqualung Titan for stage bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone out there uses AL Titan for stage bottle?

The first stage look pretty compact. I have a set of Titan LX for my normal reg setup which I use for my PADI teaching. I am very happy with its reliability and performance.

wunat:
Anyone out there uses AL Titan for stage bottle?
The Titan is a "spider" style first stage (i.e. hoses extend out radially from the central hub). Spider regs tend not to be the best choice for stage regs, because the hose routing options are not that good.

Many people (myself included) tend to prefer the turreted first stages for this application, such as Scubapro Mk25, Apeks ?TX50 style, or similar. These allow you to donate gas without putting strain on the fittings, since the hose rotates towards the other diver. The extra "reach" that you get with the turret allows you to use a standard 36" octo hose for the second stage, as opposed to a special order 40". Also, the barrel of the reg makes it a little easier to secure the SPG in a good position for easy viewing.

I use a Titan on my Stage and it works fine. I do use a 40" hose though

EDIT: just noticed where this was posted... I do not know if it is a DIR solution... All the pictures I see of Stages have the other type of first stage (turret) I'm also under that impression that having a swivel on your first stage isn't DIR Kosher either

Holy cow! JJ and others are going to have to replace a boat load of SP regs if this is the case :wink:

mattroz:
I'm also under that impression that having a swivel on your first stage isn't DIR Kosher either

mattroz:
All the pictures I see of Stages have the other type of first stage (turret) I'm also under that impression that having a swivel on your first stage isn't DIR Kosher either
I don't know why this "rumor" about turreted regs keeps popping up - there have never been any "non-DIR" issues with this type of reg. In some cases they actually work better (for example, on regs that you donate with). I have personally been using Scubapro regs for back gas and stages for over 12 years with no problems whatsoever from the turrets.

Maybe in the past there were problems with some of the cheap Mk5 "knock-off" regs that were leaking from the turrents. I've never had any trouble with the real deal though.

I didn't mean to imply that the turret style was worse. I actually think it's preferable but I didnt have a spare DS4 sitting around and I did have a spare Titan. I'm happy with the results but if you're going to buy a reg for a stage I would use something like scubapro or apeks.

I heard swivels weren't DIR for stages wasn't a good idea because it adds another potential failure point...

DIR II video and likely taken out of context as usual.

DIR-Atlanta:
I don't know why this "rumor" about turreted regs keeps popping up - there have never been any "non-DIR" issues with this type of reg. In some cases they actually work better (for example, on regs that you donate with). I have personally been using Scubapro regs for back gas and stages for over 12 years with no problems whatsoever from the turrets.

Maybe in the past there were problems with some of the cheap Mk5 "knock-off" regs that were leaking from the turrents. I've never had any trouble with the real deal though.

DIR-Atlanta:
The Titan is a "spider" style first stage (i.e. hoses extend out radially from the central hub). Spider regs tend not to be the best choice for stage regs, because the hose routing options are not that good.

This makes sense to me.

Thanks a ton!!!

So, which is a better a choice? DS4 or DST?

wunat:
So, which is a better a choice? DS4 or DST?
I think either one should be OK. As I mentioned above, I personally have a slight preference for the turreted regs like the DST, but I know a lot of folks who use the DS4 style and are quite happy with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom