Aqualung Safety Sasauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkh36619

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone use/have used the aqualung SOS that attaches to the dumb valve of a Aqualung BCD?

Very nice concept but I was wondering if it actually works or causes other problems.

Jason

I am don't have one but i have seen the manual. It says to fully inflate the bc then deploy the safety sausage. You can then deflate the bc as needed for buoyancy. Seems more dangerous than just manually inflating the SMB on your own since even for a brief time, a fully inflated bc at depth will be bad and cause for a rapid and possible out of control ascent. It would probably be ok for the surface but having a SMB deployed prior to surfacing is a good thing so boats know where you are.

I'll keep my DAN 6' SMB clipped to my bc as always with my reel in my pocket and just do it on my own if needed. From my normal 15' safety stop preferably. And hopefully I will never need to use it in an emergency situation.

I had it and it works well but I decided to get the DAN SMB so I could use it on a finger spool at safety stops.

I will offer my opinion On the "SOS".

It is too short for mounting on the lower right. It is not designed to mount on the upper right. The deployment is easy enough and getting it to fill is easily accomplished.

Much of the tube is used up following your torso with only a couple of feet extending above your head. This leaves a bit to be desired in 4 foot swells. You may need to add air using the power inflater to get it to fill completely. Your BC will be fully inflated when it is done.

Once at the boat, storing it conventionally is out. The easiest way is to slightly deflate, bend it forward, and tuck it into your cumber bun or shoulder strap. Once on board you can remove the BC, and roll it back up, and store it for deployment.

It was a neat thought. In it's current configuration it is not worth the purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom