AquaLung octopus freeflowing when purged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently bought a aqualung octopus along with an aqualung main reg. The main reg is fine but when I turn the knob on the octopus all the way to the plus sign and purge it. It free flows. Does anyone know why?

That is a good thing. It is such a high performance reg that when it gives air it really gives it. so much that it creates a vacuum within the second stage and the spring cannot overcome the force of the vacuum to push the diaphragm out. Make sense? If you just put your finger in front of the mouthpiece it will restrict the airflow enough so that the spring can overcome the vacuum of the flowing air. If your octo does this but your primary does not under the same conditions, it is a better performer or is tuned a little better. :) hope that helps.

ScubaCollin:
Hey guys, I just recently bought a aqualung octopus along with an aqualung main reg. The main reg is fine but when I turn the knob on the octopus all the way to the plus sign and purge it. It free flows. Does anyone know why?

009 is right--as usual.
When you press the purge with the selector in the plus position, a properly set up A/L reg should have a violent freeflow. Turning the selector to the minus position should stop the freeflow immediately. The selector is attached to a paddle, which obstructs the flow when in the minus position--think mechanical finger.

It is basically a flow vane that controls the venturi effect in the reg. With the vane in the plus position the vane directs the air out the mouthpiece and the resulting low pressure keeps the diaphragm poressed agaoinst the lever causing the air to continue flowing. With the vane in the minus position, the vane obstructs the path of the air and the resulting positive presure in the secodn stage presses the diaphragm out and allows the lever to close the valve, stopping the air flow.

So, when the octo is along for the ride, leave it in the (-) position as it will prevent a freeflow. When the octo is being used, move the lever to the (+) position for easier breathing.

It is a good idea to discuss this feature with your buddy pre-dive so they don't get stuck with a octo that breathes like a rock if they grab it. Most likely though, they will grab your primary, so you'll be the one wanting to know how to adjust the flow vane.

Personally, I think that in an OOA situation it is more proactive and prudent to offer your primary and for you to use the octo. A long hose primary (5'-7') just makes the deal even sweeter.

Thank you again. The reg actually breaths fine in the - position. So I might just leave it like that all the time. Thanx for the help.

You should leave in the - position, except when breathing on it. My Aqualung primary does the same thing (I occasionally forget to set back to - at the end of a dive and when I set it up again and purge, it free flows). I have an older octo with no adjustment.
While the adjustable works at depth when set to -, it breath more easily when set to +

Well Im used to diving sherwood regs, so I probably wont mind breathing it in the - position. I really hate how all the new regs comming out have the exausts so close to your face, whoever thought that up sucks. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom