Aqualung Lotus or Scubapro Womens Hydros Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this still a problem with the Hydros? Especially the post where the shoulders ripped - twice.
Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

otoh if something goes wrong with rhe I3 while on a trip the only place with repair parts is an Aqualung dealer - while they're in most dive locations they' re not everywhere.

I'd also get tired real fast of showing everyone on a dive how it works and where to find the mostly concealed inflation tube. It may not always be your buddy who's there first.

Last edited:
I too only dive in tropical waters (with a 3/2mm). I use 10-12# of weights (depending on what's available in various boats). To me, the 40# of lift seems massive overkill (theoretically at least) https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...088778/SupportMaterial/SCP_support_hydros.png - but the 'cost' of that spare capacity is marginal.

If you do purchase the HP, you'll probably later find you'll need some mounting plates for bit and pieces and bungee cords (so ask for those for free!).

There was an earlier thread on SB about monoprene weakness around the should straps. I don't know how widespread that issue is.

I've bought a new DSMB and am trying to figure out the best place for it. Whilst I'm in learning mode I plan on keeping it as pic'd. I'll probably put it in the tail as per this video (below) later on, or put all the weights in the back pockets and use on the front wight pockets as a pocket (although I'm unsure how wise this is from a safety perspective). Other mods I made are to the air dump pulls - I confined the top one's movement using a zip tie, and weights the rear one so it's easier to find - pic below:

IMG_1507.jpeg

Last edited:
40 Lbs is probably excessive for most people in warm water, but the wing tucks in pretty small, so I don't think it really is really a problem. I don't think humans wearing scuba gear are nearly as streamlined as we all sometimes like to think. Assuming the SMB is one you will want to shoot from depth, make sure you can access it adequately in those rear positions. If it is for surface use only, maybe not so important? You indicated you use 10-12 lbs of weight. I don't think you can get that much in those rear pockets and of course they are not dumpable. From a "rescue" standpoint, using your weight pocket for the SMB and putting all your lead in the rear may not be best.

A small SMB might fit in the ninja pocket and if you have a larger SMB (which it looks like you do), I would suggest getting the bigger thigh pocket and use that for your smb. I think that would be much more accessible than the rear mounting and

By the way, I see you have a bottle opener mounted on your BC. Do you drink while diving? (JK)

On the monoprene issue, I have not seen any other comments past those first couple, so I am hoping maybe it was a limited problem. The SP monoprene fins had some problems when they first came out but I have now been using mine for several years with no problems.

I too only dive in tropical waters (with a 3/2mm). I use 10-12# of weights (depending on what's available in various boats). To me, the 40# of lift seems massive overkill (theoretically at least) https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...088778/SupportMaterial/SCP_support_hydros.png - but the 'cost' of that spare capacity is marginal.

If you do purchase the HP, you'll probably later find you'll need some mounting plates for bit and pieces and bungee cords (so ask for those for free!).

There was an earlier thread on SB about monoprene weakness around the should straps. I don't know how widespread that issue is.

I've bought a new DSMB and am trying to figure out the best place for it. Whilst I'm in learning mode I plan on keeping it as pic'd. I'll probably put it in the tail as per this video (below) later on, or put all the weights in the back pockets and use on the front wight pockets as a pocket (although I'm unsure how wise this is from a safety perspective). Other mods I made are to the air dump pulls - I confined the top one's movement using a zip tie, and weights the rear one so it's easier to find - pic below:

View attachment 449150

Reactions: Jay
GASP. GASP GASP
Well, If you're an absolute gearhead and want the best available - money being no object, then these products are for you. Seems the Scubapro Hydros is a steal compared to the BC1 from Atomic which is 1400.00 and the Scubapro is only 900.00.
But aren't these products still too new to get accurate information regarding overall performance and durability?

No BC has used monoprene before, so in that sense, the Hydros is very new and so there is no track record for the new material. After some initial issues, it seems to be holding up fine on their fins.

Aqualung has been making BCs for at least a couple years now :wink: and the only thing new about them is the i3, if one goes that route. The i3 system has been out for a little over 10 years I think, so I would not consider it new or untested.

They are expensive, but so are my computer, regs, camera, camera housing, and each dive trip. One could certainly save a few hundred dollars with a BPW or a less expensive BC.

The Atomic BC kind of occupies its own niche that I don't fully understand, but the cam band looks cool.

Back
Top Bottom