Aqualung Legend vs. Apeks XTX for cold water tech dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much of diving has to do with confidence in your abilities and in the equipment you use. Because most Divers have limited funds, they possess a finite number of regulators. I prefer Apeks. The reason why is that I've found them to be dependable breathers on air and mixed-gas regardless of depth or water temperature. I can't say that the regulators I use are the best available on the market. I do know that regardless of what Ocean I dive in, I'm confident that Apeks will meet my requirements. That's enough for me.

What are the chances of me getting self-service kits, and where could I learn to service Apeks? Also, I presume any modification I make to a reg would void the free parts for life, although I think it's implied here that rebuilding an Apeks regulator every year or two isn't really necessary.

Although I am not there yet, I would like to be able to eventually use this regulator for deeper Trimix dives.

When you say all of the atx/xtx regs have the same internals, do you mean only the 2nd stages, or are 1st ones also pretty much identical internally?

When you say bulletproof, are you referring specifically to the components that require servicing? Does it mean that one would potentially have to rebuild an Aqualung more frequently than an Apeks when diving in a cold water environment?

You ask too many questions. LOL. First, Apeks manuals and a flash presentation are available online, look and you shall find. Second you can purchase Apeks parts through Northeast Scuba Supply. Third, I would assume (but I do not know for sure) that if you started self-servicing the regs the warranty will be violated. You will need to check with AL if once you leave coverage that you will be allowed back.

Do not worry about Trimix. Because helium is lighter than both nitrogen and oxygen trimix flows better than air at depth. If you are comparing the ATX and XTX series the main difference in the second stages is the case. The rest of the parts are the same. As far as the first stages go the DS4 is the same with either the XTX or ATX series. The DST, FSR, and FST firsts did differ in the fact that the ATX versions have a 1/2" primary port while the XTX versions have all 3/8 LP ports. Other than that all is the same.

Both AL and Apeks make a reliable gear neither has a clear servicing advantage over the other. The thing I HATE about Aqualung is their regulator line is too convoluted. Do they really need 9 regulators called the Legend? To compare apples to apples you would need to compare Apeks with the Legend Supreme versions that are cold water ready or the Titan LX Surpreme.

Well, I have been wondering about getting an Apeks XTX200 as my second regulator set. Nothing but great reviews and high praise from the users. The possibility of diving in colder waters for my future dive vacations prompted me into considering the Apeks line. I have not dove one though.

And, I breathe a Legend LX. The 2008/2009 version.
A spectacular piece of engineering. Five years old and still looks brand new. Great build quality, durable and HEAVY! Recently got it serviced - the second within the period of ownership and the servicemen said it all is good (except that me pushing the clamp too tightly caused the ACD to be a bit loose). I have been expecting a worse report due to the heavy use (weekly dive, murky waters). I never really appreciate the awesome breathe that it gave until I was forced to use rent regs for my recent dives. Breathes great at depths and only at the very low tank pressure that I can feel the drop in air delivery. Recently I was so mesmerized with the beautiful reef site that I decided to spend as much time in the water. Extended my stop as much as the air allows. That was the lowest LOA I had - and that was the time where I first experienced the feel of low air delivery. Only at 90-50 psi that I really felt the restriction of air delivery (but in a smooth kind of way). Comparatively, I was using an unbalanced Aqualung Calypso that felt worse at 1000-1500 psi at 5-8 meters depth (maybe I am too used with the constant air supply that the Legend provides). My only complaint is that it breathes dry to me. Kinda wishing that the air is a bit damp/wet.

The DST, FSR, and FST firsts did differ in the fact that the ATX versions have a 1/2" primary port while the XTX versions have all 3/8 LP ports. Other than that all is the same.

The 1/2" port was unique to earlier model DST (and UST, but I've never seen one) first stages supplied with TX series second stages. It was dropped some years ago and now all Apeks first stages have only 3/8" LP ports regardless of the model of second stage.

I'll be doing my trimix course this summer and I'm using my trusty apeks. I know people who have taken them to tech 2 depths (75m)

They've been to 305m The World Record dive John Bennett 305 m - YouTube

The 1/2" port was unique to earlier model DST (and UST, but I've never seen one) first stages supplied with TX series second stages. It was dropped some years ago and now all Apeks first stages have only 3/8" LP ports regardless of the model of second stage.

The 1/2" port was on all models of the original ATX series; not on TX AFAIK. As someone corrected me earlier today, the current ATX have the common 3/8" port

When I dig it out I will take a photo of it for you. The UST has a different end cap than the DST. The UST cap does not have the threads to add the dry seal cap.

My understanding of Apeks first stages is this: The DS4 ALWAYS had 3/8 IP ports. The DST, UST, FSR, FST, first stages had one 1/2" IP port on BOTH the TX and ATX series. When Apeks came out with the XTX series all the first stages referenced now use all 3/8" ports. I have both TX and ATX series first stages and can vouch from experience they are the same.

If you are purchasing a new ATX or XTX series regulator the IP ports are all 3/8".

Last edited:
The internal of FSR 1 st stage is different from its other stable mates. It has a replaceable ARCAP.
How useful it is I have no idea. But if I am buying any used Apeks 1st stage other than FSR I would like to take a proper look at the orifice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom