Aqualung Legend Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All techs make mistakes - even me - not often but it happens to everyone.

The thing is that if a mistake is claimed,it does not have to become a battle of wills or an ego thing, the tech just fixes the problem and you move forward without having to assign blame and if handled properly it can become a teaching/learning moment for all involved.

The sad thing here for the tech, the shop and Aqualung is that the part it self is pretty cheap - especially at dealer cost and the tech and shop blew an OPPORTUNITY to give good service by replaceing the part for free and at the same time promote the shop's customer service, and maybe even promote the fact that the Legend second stage still runs fine even when something goes wrong, like the cover coming off.

So my solution is to put on a Titan coverplate. Now everytime I look at my reg, which is a couple of times a week, I am not filled with pride and admiration for the great reg that it is, I am bitter about how I have been treated. I don't think I will be telling anyone how great the Aqualung Legend is at all.

If you owned a Ford car and took it to have the oil changed (dealer, Jiffy Lube, wherever) and the mechanic forgot to put the oil plug back in, would you tell people that "Ford is not great" after your car breaks down?

Of course to the extent that the service might be from "the dealer" a stupid mistake on the part of the specific service tech, and even the dealer over all, does not diminish the quality of the product itself.

Feel free to tell people "I love the reg, but XYZ dealer really stinks."

PS - Even if I *DID* believe that it was your fault, if I was your dealer I would have said "Oh my gosh, we've never seen that happen before. Only two ways that could happen...either way we'll fix that straight away and make sure it doesn't happen again." Where's the sense in telling a customer "...either you screwed up or we did, and we're betting the rent that it was you. Sorry."

PS I was quoted AU$300+ just for the replacement gold ring part!!!!!!

I didn't know that the one they sell down-under is actually solid gold.

If you owned a Ford car and took it to have the oil changed (dealer, Jiffy Lube, wherever) and the mechanic forgot to put the oil plug back in, would you tell people that "Ford is not great" after your car breaks down?

Of course to the extent that the service might be from "the dealer" a stupid mistake on the part of the specific service tech, and even the dealer over all, does not diminish the quality of the product itself.

Feel free to tell people "I love the reg, but XYZ dealer really stinks."

PS - Even if I *DID* believe that it was your fault, if I was your dealer I would have said "Oh my gosh, we've never seen that happen before. Only two ways that could happen...either way we'll fix that straight away and make sure it doesn't happen again." Where's the sense in telling a customer "...either you screwed up or we did, and we're betting the rent that it was you. Sorry."

Yeah, fair analogy. Depends on whether it was a Ford authorised and endorsed repairer. It's not that I'll forever bag AL, I just won't be going out of my way singin' their praises, (even though the reg does breathe beautifully).

The AL rep I spoke to in Melbourne said the Titan cover was an exact fit for my Legend 2nd stage because they are essentially the same reg. It was he that quoted me $300 COST PRICE for the "Solid Gold" part.

Silly question: if the cover costs AU $300, how much does a new, complete reg set up cost?

Silly question: if the cover costs AU $300, how much does a new, complete reg set up cost?

Please don't quote me, but in the vicinity of $1,000AU. However the cheapest I have seen recently for a 1st and 2nd stage from an Australian supplier is $720AU. That's why so many in Australia now buy from the US and UK on the net. However there are some nasty warranty issues with gear purchased OS designed to protect Aussie suppliers.

But that's an entirely different story.

That is a bit pricey! Even so, given those numbers I cannot imagine that a cover would be $300. That just seems wrong on so many levels. I agree with the other postings. AL and your LDS should have just taken care of the situation and then had you raving about the level of customer service that you received from both. This is still a very small industry in comparison to other sports. Every lost or dissatisfied customer, regardless of whether it comes from an LDS or an online retailer, is one less person likely to continue to embrace and seek new products to keep the manufacturers going.

The rings on the aqualung lengend sell for approximately 80 dollars US, just so you know.

I believe gold rings are more expensive than $80, but I'll have to check on it.

Please don't quote me, but in the vicinity of $1,000AU. However the cheapest I have seen recently for a 1st and 2nd stage from an Australian supplier is $720AU. That's why so many in Australia now buy from the US and UK on the net. However there are some nasty warranty issues with gear purchased OS designed to protect Aussie suppliers.

But that's an entirely different story.

In fact Dazzler, many of us buy Apeks, Aqualung, Suunto etc. from OS to avoid dealing with the lousy attitude & service from Aquanaut, the OZ distributor. Mind you, the cheaper prices don't hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom