Aqualung Legend LX vs. ScubaPro MK25/A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beaverdiver
What I mean is that if I correctly adjust the IP of a MK11 or MK17 to 145PSI at 500PSI tank pressure, I start according to SP with 133 -143PSI at full tank ( 2 – 12PSI expected IP difference), which first is an exceptional wide range for a diaphragm 1st stage, and second if I never find a MK11 or MK17 with an IP difference less than 8 PSI, but most differences are significantly higher ( up to 15PSI), then I find that for a brand like SP disappointing, given the fact that I haven’t found yet another brand with ranges that wide.
If I choose for example to buy a MK11 – R195 combination and I get one MK11 with the from SP expected 12PSI difference, then this will translate for the unbalanced R195 in an approx. 0,3 inch/water higher cracking effort in the beginning of the dive, which you definitely can feel.
When my tank is near empty I finally can breathe this regulator up to its capacities.
This is a general problem with upstream 1st stages, but with other brands I would not expect to feel actually the difference, because the IP difference is so small ( 0 – 6 PSI).
If you dive the MK11 or MK17 with a balanced 2nd stage the IP difference will probably not translate in a different cracking effort or only a very small one, so there I don’t expect anybody to feel any difference in breathing.
For decades other brands were copying SP products, now SP tries to copy designs of other brands.
If I’m right with my observations, I think SP could do better concerning this type of 1st stages.
Just today I had a MKII that had been used all year in a diving center with a 15PSI IP difference between full and empty.
So what means balanced 1st stage with only a from SP expected 3PSI difference?
Why should I buy a MK11 instead of a MKII?
As I mentioned before I dive SP all my life and don’t see me changing for another brand, but I don’t see the point to go for a MK11 or MK17 for the moment.
I think SP should at least reach the IP differences of their competitors.
Up to now it seems most users are happy with their MK11s and MK17s, but probably most of them are using balanced 2nds.

If you have seen Mk17 inside which I believe you did you would know that its nowhere near of a copy of anything else. IMHO they do have a better desighed seat and LP side.

I do not know why they overbalance them though.

Beaverdiver
What I mean is that if I correctly adjust the IP of a MK11 or MK17 to 145PSI at 500PSI tank pressure, I start according to SP with 133 -143PSI at full tank ( 2 – 12PSI expected IP difference), which first is an exceptional wide range for a diaphragm 1st stage, and second if I never find a MK11 or MK17 with an IP difference less than 8 PSI, but most differences are significantly higher ( up to 15PSI), then I find that for a brand like SP disappointing, given the fact that I haven’t found yet another brand with ranges that wide.
If I choose for example to buy a MK11 – R195 combination and I get one MK11 with the from SP expected 12PSI difference, then this will translate for the unbalanced R195 in an approx. 0,3 inch/water higher cracking effort in the beginning of the dive, which you definitely can feel.
When my tank is near empty I finally can breathe this regulator up to its capacities.
This is a general problem with upstream 1st stages, but with other brands I would not expect to feel actually the difference, because the IP difference is so small ( 0 – 6 PSI).
If you dive the MK11 or MK17 with a balanced 2nd stage the IP difference will probably not translate in a different cracking effort or only a very small one, so there I don’t expect anybody to feel any difference in breathing.
For decades other brands were copying SP products, now SP tries to copy designs of other brands.
If I’m right with my observations, I think SP could do better concerning this type of 1st stages.
Just today I had a MKII that had been used all year in a diving center with a 15PSI IP difference between full and empty.
So what means balanced 1st stage with only a from SP expected 3PSI difference?
Why should I buy a MK11 instead of a MKII?
As I mentioned before I dive SP all my life and don’t see me changing for another brand, but I don’t see the point to go for a MK11 or MK17 for the moment.
I think SP should at least reach the IP differences of their competitors.
Up to now it seems most users are happy with their MK11s and MK17s, but probably most of them are using balanced 2nds.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2013 at 08:27 AM ----------

You will like it. I did find that my A700 was tuned a bit conservative out of the box though after reducing the effort to 0.8 it breathed way better in normal position with very slight bubbling through exhaust at the easiest setting while looking down.

Dove my 25/a700 in 36f this weekend

That pretty much sums it up. I've got the MK 25 / A700.
I'm sure the Aqualung is awesome too !

Back
Top Bottom