Aqualung Dimension I3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our local dive store bought quite a few of the AquaLung/Sherwood BCDs with the I3 inflators a few years back. In that time with a fair amount of use I have seen several I3s fail, yet none of the typical LP inflators on the same model of BVDs. For me too many small working parts to break.

With that said for student who learned with a I3 many of them go on and buy a BCD with the I3 and most, but not all like anything, like the system. If you go with the I3 system you need to keep it very clean after diving and have it serviced/inspected every so often (read the manual for times). Be sure it is in good and proper working order before using it on a trip. Because if it fails on a dive trip you might not find replacement parts locally.

I had one and really liked it. The long post about all the things that could happen is certainly relevant but unlikely events. I just don't hear many problems about them.

Thank you very much for taking the time to put that together. That is exactly what I was looking for. Since I am a new diver those are all things I wouldn't have thought of. I think I will avoid the I3 which is a shame because I really like the rest of the features on that BC. I the other ones that I am leaning towards are the Zeagle Stiletto and the Ranger..... unless you guys have any other recommendations.

Thanks again to everyone

I have an axiom I3 and it is the most comfortable BC I've dived with or more importantly had to walk to a shore entry in. The I3 system definitely has more parts to it, but I have never had an issue in 300+ dives. Some basic common sense about storing your gear on dive boat should keep anyone from smashing your gear and doing a fresh water rinse will go along way to keeping everything functioning as it should. Both of which you should be doing anyways.

I have an axiom I3 and it is the most comfortable BC I've dived with or more importantly had to walk to a shore entry in. The I3 system definitely has more parts to it, but I have never had an issue in 300+ dives. Some basic common sense about storing your gear on dive boat should keep anyone from smashing your gear and doing a fresh water rinse will go along way to keeping everything functioning as it should. Both of which you should be doing anyways.

I have heard a lot about the Aqualungs being very comfortable to walk in, with a tank mounted. Is there something they do different? Would a for example a Zeagle which I am also considering be any worse to walk in?

I have heard a lot about the Aqualungs being very comfortable to walk in, with a tank mounted. Is there something they do different? Would a for example a Zeagle which I am also considering be any worse to walk in?

Its in the harness design and how it wraps around your body, it really is very comfortable and supports the cylinder well..... I have no personal experience in how the zeagle fits and feels.
If your LDS has try before you buy program or if there is anybody at your local dive sites that has either of the models you are thinking of, ask nicely of if you can borrow and take out for test dive. In the end only trying it out for yourself will see how it fits your body and dive style.

Thank you very much for taking the time to put that together. That is exactly what I was looking for. Since I am a new diver those are all things I wouldn't have thought of. I think I will avoid the I3 which is a shame because I really like the rest of the features on that BC. I the other ones that I am leaning towards are the Zeagle Stiletto and the Ranger..... unless you guys have any other recommendations.

Thanks again to everyone

K-Dude,

You might like this BCD as it is very similar to the AquaLung Dimension...it is the AquaLung Axiom with inflator hose. Axiom

I have owned AquaLung, Sherwood, Zeagle, Mares and ScubaPro BCDs...all are pretty good. Currently if I am in a BCD it is usually the ScubaPro Glide-X ( SCUBAPRO - GLIDE X ) and that is when I am teaching new divers. My preferred BC I primarily use is a BP/W from Deep Sea Supply with a Stainless Steel Plate, Hogarthian Harness and a 30lb LCD Single Tank Wing ( https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?&page=rig_configurator ).

An Axiom is a jacket BCD - a Dimension is a back-inflate design so they're not similar except both say Aqualung on the side.

A very similar model to the Dimension without the I3 is the Balance. It doesn't have the Wrapture but that's mostly marketing also. It does have the Surelock, the flat valves and is back-inflate. And
The self-adjusting lumbar support system (SLS) automatically finds your lumbar to provide excellent comfort and support

Zeagles have a lumbar support also. Standard on the Stiletto since it's sewn in - optional on the standard Ranger IIRC. All have padded shoulders so will be as comfortable as the Dimension on surface carries. I shore dive a lot and load and carry my Ranger on my back often with a tank mounted and weights in the pockets.

In the price range/feature set you seem to want, another candidate is the Scubapro Knighthawk - a back inflate standard BCD.

You can't go wrong with any of them. I own a Ranger and one reason I bought it over the Knighthawk is the Ripcord weight system - it dumps both front pockets when pulled. Also they come with nifty handled weight bags which you remove from the top to hand up on a boat - they're harder to drop than the other systems which pull straight out - the weight tends to want to drop while you're holding the plastic clips. My other choice was a Knighthawk because I don't have a close Aqualung dealer.

It's my impression that Zeagle is big in SoFl. The factory is in Zephyr Hills and Aquatic something nearby is the largest Zeagle dealer in the country. Zeagle Express is their online division. I went into the FLL Divers Direct store once and they had a lot of Zeagle BC's on the rack - must be a reason. A lot of Aualung gear also IIRC.

Don't let me talk you out of an I3 if that's what you really want. Just understand the possible downsides. As someone mentioned, most may never happen to you anyway if you're a casual recreational diver. I don't have any sort of agenda against Aqualung, if I didn't own Zeagle/Atomic they'd be high on my list although I'd probably buy Scubapro first since their dealer is about 45 miles closer.

It doesn't hurt much to rent a couple of times, get out on boats and ask other divers why they dive what they do. There may be some specific regional advantages for one brand over another. Or for the types of diving, spearos likely don't want any extra features that speargun lines can get tangled in. If you dive wrecks you try to minimize things that monofilament line can catch on. It's why wreck divers call caribiners "suicide clips".

I have both an I3 and a Zeagle ranger. Both are great BCs and I have not had any issues with either. For the I3 if you keep it clean and take care of it then you shouldn't have any issues. I use the Zeagle when I am being a DM or if I am needing more lift ie carrying a sling bottle or something. The stilleto is smaller than the range but is still a sturdy BC. Try them on, see if you can try one in the water. Which ever one is more comfortable and is the best price you will be happy.

I CANT DECIDE LOL! Why can't they just make the Dimension 3 without the i3 system! Then all my problems would be solved :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom