Aqua-Lung U.S. Divers ComPRO fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
8 to 10 years ago before I decided to learn scuba I was rooting through the recycle area (read that DUMPSTER!) at work. Can't say what military base it was but I found 100's of fins and dug some out. Gave them all away to people with pools.
My buddy just gave me a set back and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with them. They're in great shape, straps and all! Been in the guys basement all this time. No, I'm not trying to sell anything. Just looking for information.
Thanks for any info, Steve

P.S. Had I known then what I know now, I'd saved a few dozen of them!:D

i was just starting to look for any opinions on this fins. the reason is because i just dove them today for the first time. i am trying to figure out if they are similar/ the same as us diver rockets. i was reading about them here, and found out that they are military issue, and that most people prefer scubapro jets. now to here that you got dozens from a military base.... maybe they were the pre-curser to the rockets.

anyway, take all that with a grain of salt, because i am in the minority that likes split fins. my ankles were/are sore from two 1/2 tank dives ( two seperate half tanks). my split fins never ever caused me no pain. and furthermore, i swear that i usually move faster and with less effort than today. i would compare, someday, but i promised myself i wouldn't use these fins again. just kidding, i wasn't that bad. wasn't that good either, but.....

The Compro fins I remember were very popular in the mid-1980s, they came in white, red, blue and maybe a couple of other colors. Most people I dived with had them because that is what the shop where we all worked and hung out. They do not predate the rockets. I had a pair and after a couple of hundred dives wore them out (blades badly bent, so no more kick back). I then purchased a pair of compro graphtie (black) and dived those for a couple hundred dives. Probably the best fin I ever owned, other than my Scubapro Jet fins which replaced the compro graphite in my fin box. By the late 1990s the Compro fin was a cheap recreational fin being sold in general purpose sporting goods stores.

I still have a couple hundred brand new pairs in bins. Until we find a recycler that will take them, or a practical use, they will continue to sit there. We are not going to let them lay in a land fill someplace

At the time they were a lighter and stiffer fin than the Rocket. By the way, the Rocket came first. The Comp-Pro's short length and wide blade was thought to offer better propulsion and movement. The composite plastic was molded to a heavy rubber foot pocket similar to the Rocket's in size and shape. As you found out that is not the case and they have been replaced by far superior designs.

Hallmac,
Are your Compro Fins still available for sale? I'm looking for a couple of medium sets.

Back
Top Bottom