Aqua-Lung Reg choice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently about to complete my OW Cert. and i'm looking at gear to buy and came across the Titan LX and Mikron. They both seem to be about the same to me...People say the Mikron blows bubbles in your face if upright, but isnt this the case for all regs? I like them because they're pretty lightweight. I don't plan on doing too much cold diving, live in FL and plan on diving in caribbean. Any input would help.
On a side note, also plan on getting a http://www.amazon.com/Cressi-S300-BCD-SM/dp/B003C383ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321244557&sr=8-1 Cressi S300 BC. Any thoughts on that would help as well.
Thanks!

Sometimes I'll grab a set of gear do do do la la la la
a set I haven't used before or haven't used for some
time, I have more than one or someone will say what
about this, so I'll go diving dee dee dee dee like Drew
Barrymore where I don't remember much from one, to
the next dive and I'll say, "What's goin on here?" and
dive some more and then say, "Hey, I get it, this reg
puts 10,000,000 bubbles in front of my face a second."

"That seems like crap?"

Then I'll forget or it'll be real rough or O viz so there
who cares?

But then on another day with most of the same stuff
as above, not thinking or remembering, just diving, same
tune different tune, I'll go "A HA!" because by the same
theory of not clogging your brain with street names as
long as you know how to get to where you are going
because not if you paid me could I describe what I am
doing as I dive or how it is done into my mind will pop

wild, that's what was going on those few dives ago

this reg is only pumping 5,000,000 bubbles in front of
my face a second and I give serious consideration to
relegating the other reg to a box a shelf or to someone
else, if I remember.

I'm quite prepared and do dive with anything available
but 5,000,000 extra bubbles in your face is humungous.

So many brand new second hand immaculate BCD's pass
through my hands at such great prices that unless current
model brand new is a phobia expenditure from my coffers
is better expended on diving because although underwater
others can hear you scream they're not looking at your gear
otherwise they would be able to find you

I'm currently about to complete my OW Cert. and i'm looking at gear to buy and came across the Titan LX and Mikron. They both seem to be about the same to me...People say the Mikron blows bubbles in your face if upright, but isnt this the case for all regs? I like them because they're pretty lightweight. I don't plan on doing too much cold diving, live in FL and plan on diving in caribbean. Any input would help.
On a side note, also plan on getting a http://www.amazon.com/Cressi-S300-BCD-SM/dp/B003C383ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321244557&sr=8-1 Cressi S300 BC. Any thoughts on that would help as well.
Thanks!
If maintained and tuned properly, the Mikron (Mikron 1st stage and 2nd stage) and Titan LX (Titan LX 1st stage and 2nd stage) will breathe similarly.
As you mentioned, both are lightweight.
I believe that the Mikron 2nd stage is a little smaller than the Titan LX...and the Mikron package weighs less than the Titan LX package.

For open circuit regs, during exhalation your bubbles will be directed out the exhaust tee. Theoretically, the wider the exhaust tee is, the less chance of bubbles getting in your face. Smaller footprint 2nd stages, such as the Mikron, tend to have fairly narrow exhaust tees. Essentially, the trade-off is lighter weight and less bulk for increased potential for bubble interference. Some manufacturers of 2nd stages leave the decision up to the diver. For example, the Apeks XTX series features user-replaceable exhaust tees, so a diver can switch from a narrow to wide tee (or vice versa) in a matter of minutes. Sounds neat, right? But in reality, I just leave the wide tees on them. :idk:

In the end, no one can tell you whether the quirks of a reg are going to annoy you. You just have to dive the reg yourself.
Try before you buy. The same applies for any BCD you're considering buying.

One of the best ways to try out new gear in a real world setting is to expand your circle of dive friends. Join a local dive club that plans regular dive outings. You'll meet lots of friendly divers who have gear that they'd be happy to let you try out.

Sometimes I'll grab a set of gear do do do la la la la
a set I haven't used before or haven't used for some
time, I have more than one or someone will say what
about this, so I'll go diving dee dee dee dee like Drew
Barrymore where I don't remember much from one, to
the next dive and I'll say, "What's goin on here?" and
dive some more and then say, "Hey, I get it, this reg
puts 10,000,000 bubbles in front of my face a second."

"That seems like crap?"

Then I'll forget or it'll be real rough or O viz so there
who cares?

But then on another day with most of the same stuff
as above, not thinking or remembering, just diving, same
tune different tune, I'll go "A HA!" because by the same
theory of not clogging your brain with street names as
long as you know how to get to where you are going
because not if you paid me could I describe what I am
doing as I dive or how it is done into my mind will pop

wild, that's what was going on those few dives ago

this reg is only pumping 5,000,000 bubbles in front of
my face a second and I give serious consideration to
relegating the other reg to a box a shelf or to someone
else, if I remember.

I'm quite prepared and do dive with anything available
but 5,000,000 extra bubbles in your face is humungous.

So many brand new second hand immaculate BCD's pass
through my hands at such great prices that unless current
model brand new is a phobia expenditure from my coffers
is better expended on diving because although underwater
others can hear you scream they're not looking at your gear
otherwise they would be able to find you

In no way does your post help.

After putting knowone's post into the universal babel fish translator, it spat out the following:
Some people are more "sensitive" to reg exhaust bubble interference than others. "A lot" of bubble interference to one person might be "not noticeable at all" to another.
Some days, for whatever reason, a certain amount of bubble interference might be more annoying to a given diver.
Some water conditions diminish the problem of bubble interference (if it exists).

In my area, I see many second-hand BCDs in excellent condition for sale.
Buying one of these "used" BCDs can save you a lot of money.

Thanks for clarifying.

Any recommendations for a BC then? I'd prefer to stick with Jacket style, and under 500$. Also would like integrated weight system. Learning on a Aqualung Pro LT

Any recommendations for a BC then? I'd prefer to stick with Jacket style, and under 500$. Also would like integrated weight system. Learning on a Aqualung Pro LT
If you like the Aqualung Pro LT, then I would stick with it. Aqualung/Seaquest has recently been including a newer up/down power inflation/deflation lever mechanism called the "i3" on their BCDs. I'd recommend staying away from the i3 mechanism for another 10+ years until Aqualung has worked the kinks out of it. I suspect that over time, the i3 mechanism will require a lot more maintenance (likely quite costly) than an older-style BCD with a standard power inflater and regular pull dumps.
If you'd like to try a different brand of jacket-style BCD, the Scubapro Classic Plus BCD would be one to consider.

Based on dealings that my friends and I have had with various BC manufacturers, I would lean towards Scubapro BCDs. Scubapro customer service has always been excellent even several years after the initial purchase. One of my friends had owned a Scubapro Knighthawk (rear-inflate) for approx. 8 years (700+ dives on it) when a plastic clip broke and his weight-integrated pouch started to rip. Through a local dealer, he sent in his BCD to Scubapro for repair. One week later, his BC was returned with both issues fixed at no charge.

If you are ever interested in looking at rear-inflate BCDs, the Aqualung Seaquest Balance and Scubapro Knighthawk are excellent choices.

I'm an open water recreational diver, and my personal preference is for a BP/W. It's the most comfortable and functional BCD I've ever owned. It's also great for traveling.

LOL Yes, knowone is very good at "clarifying".

Some people are sensitive to bubble interference, some are not. I am, to the extent that I replaced an Apeks ATX second with an XTX just to get a wide exhaust tee. The Titan LX has a wider exhaust tee than the Mikron. Your best bet is to try both.

Congrats on getting your c-card! I've had a pair of the Micras (predecessor to the Mikron with a very similar exhaust tee) for the last 12 years, and use them exactly for what you are planning to do with them in Mexico and Florida with no complaints. Perhaps the bubbles are in your face a bit more when upright, but I honestly spend as little time as possible in that position while diving. Staying horizontal keeps your fins out of the coral, and keeps you eyes on your buddy while ascending. I bought a Titan LX shortly after their release, and my wife promptly stole it. It's been her favorite reg ever since. Both are great regs for warm water diving at all OW depths, and you should get years of happiness out of either if well maintained. The bubbles don't play much of a factor to me, if that's your biggest concern.

Cheers,
Chris

thanks tex, I've pretty much decided on either of the two. They have a sale at the LDS for the mikron. and Legend. I've heard good things about both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom