Aqua lung& Oceanic mix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked

Extreme Non-poster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I use and Aqualung legend for my primary, and an Oceanic Alpha 7 for my pony reg. I'm going away next month, and want to do some diving. Can I put the Oceanic second stage on the Aqualung first stage since it has the overbalanced diaphram?

This is not uncommon. Just make sure that it doesn't breathe so well that it trickles at depth.

You may need to adjust the second stage to work with the different 1st. It won't hurt anything to mix brands.

While mixing brands is generally OK, the specific combination you've mentioned is not recommended. The overbalanced first stages such as used by Apex and the Aqualung Legend are meant to be used with balanced second stages, which the Alpha 7 is not. This is due to the fact that the cracking pressure of an unbalanced second stage is affected by the intermediate pressure because of the downstream valve design. On the overbalanced first stages, the intermediate pressure does not remain constant relative to ambiant pressure, it increases the deeper you go to account for the greater density of the air moving through your regulator. So if your second stage was set to crack easily at shallower depth, it COULD (but not necessarily will) freeflow at depth. And if it's set to breath easily at depth, you may have to suck hard at shallower depths.

Back
Top Bottom