Aqua Lung Legend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used one now for a year and it breathes great.

Picked up an Apeks ATX50 also a few months ago. Be honest...the ATX50 breathes as well as the Legend. I could not tell the difference.

if you follow my posts for the past year you see that I was one of the most outspoken critics about Dacor and their parts and service problems. I traded in two Dacor regulators and deceided it was better to go with the Mares brand than picking the 2 models they offered from Dacor. I made the choice to get rid of the old Dacors while I could. They were good regulators in their day but over the last few years many improvements have been made and I don't need any more "paperweights" in my office. Like I said the Aqualund Legend is a very good regulator .... but when you can get a "top of the line" regulator that lists for over $600 (discounted most places for about $450) for under $300 (Surface Interval Scuba has it for $250) with trade ... then it's time to "suck it up" and get a new one.

scubapro50:
if you follow my posts for the past year you see that I was one of the most outspoken critics about Dacor and their parts and service problems. I traded in two Dacor regulators and deceided it was better to go with the Mares brand than picking the 2 models they offered from Dacor. I made the choice to get rid of the old Dacors while I could. They were good regulators in their day but over the last few years many improvements have been made and I don't need any more "paperweights" in my office. Like I said the Aqualund Legend is a very good regulator .... but when you can get a "top of the line" regulator that lists for over $600 (discounted most places for about $450) for under $300 (Surface Interval Scuba has it for $250) with trade ... then it's time to "suck it up" and get a new one.
I agree with you on all points Scubapro50, except one. I got screwed by Dacor/Mares once, I won't give them another chance. In the immortal words of Scotty (StarTrek)" Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".
There are plenty of other manufacturers out there with quality equipment ( like Aqualung & Sherwood ) not screwing their customers and then hoping for another chance, I'll stick with them. I fully understand your logic and respect it, but choose not to make the same decision. I guess I can still use another paperweight. :D
My previous post was by no means meant as a personal attack. I just can't endorse or recommend a piece of Dacor or Mares equipment. Mares makes quality stuff, too bad their business plan is so shady and their customer relations have had the warm and fuzziness of the Spanish Inquisition.
Just my 2 psi,
Chris

OH MY GOD .... 5 years old ..... I still have a Voit Titan II J regulator purchased new in 1968 for $60 from Central Skin Divers in NY ...... just had it rebuilt this year and it works great .... doesn't have all the LP ports you need today. (by the way ... Voit ... Voit/Swimaster .... AMF/ Swimaster .... Mares/Swimaster .... now just Mares ... and my LDS found the parts to rebuild it without to much trouble)

I have an ATX50/DS4 and borrowed a Legend LX from my friend because I was thinking of either getting another Apeks or getting a Legend LX for my doubles. The Legend breathed very mechanically and I didn't like it. I thought it breathed like crap but found out my friend had his tuned down for cold water. I have had my Apeks deep and cold and also under ice, so not sure why he had it tuned down. Either way you can probably save a few bucks and get the Apeks and have just as good a reg.

FWIW, I have the Aqua Lung Titan LX which is a step below the legend and I must say it works great. I've taken it down to 120ft down in cozumel and only realized i was down that far because of the beeping of my dive computer.

I have the Legend LX Supreme, it was the best purchase I ever made. Breathes great no trouble so far. I purchased another one for doubles. I really like the mouth piece on it, it has a little cut out for your front teeth to lock it in. I really like that feature as I have zero jaw fatigue, just sort of lock it in & let it hang. It replaced a Scuba Pro 600/25, which I liked just my LDS stoped carrying Scupa Pro, & I am not a big fan of the rotating ports. So I got rid of that reg. & kept my 550/16 as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom