Aqua Lung ABS Octopus as bungeed necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiamondD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Love my BP/W but don't like the traditional 2nd stage set ups. My primary is an Aqua Lung Legend, I would like to put this on a 5' long hose and my octopuss on a necklace. Stick with the ABS for an Octo or go with a different 2nd stage?

Also where can I get the 5' hose and the short hose,22" or something else, and a necklace for octo?

Eta... Also do I need a 90 on the long hose?
thanks,
Dean

I have a 90 degree adapter on my 7' long hose, and I keep meaning to take it off. It's just a remnant from when I was using a 40" hose routed down my chest for my primary. It does curve the hose directly back around my head, which maximizes the effective hose length, but that doesn't seem necessary since I have so much extra length anyway. Mostly it makes it more difficult to clip off my primary when it's not in use because the angle sort of puts the reg in the way of getting a good grip on the bolt snap.

You will want a 70 degree adapter on your necklaced octo, though. You can buy a premade necklace or make one yourself out of shock cord (3mm bungee cable). Instructions can be found on youtube and it's an easy way to save a few bucks while learning some handy knots.

Plenty of websites (scubatoys, diverightinscuba, divegearexpress etc) can sell you hoses in any length you like, but depending on your experience level you might want to have a qualified tech switch them around for you. If you over-tighten the connection points you can damage your regs.

I don't know much about the ABS octo, but my philosophy is to ensure that my primary and backup second stages are both fit for heavy use as primaries, so I gravitate away from anything marketed as a backup. Just a personal preference.

Last edited:
I would never have a back up reg that is less performance wise than my primary. I am going to be the one using after handing off my primary to a diver that may be stressed and I want all the air I need to handle that. As for a five foot and a 22 inch hose I have em in stock. As well as the bungee to make a necklace. It's just some bungee and two small zip ties. I usually throw one in free when I sell a reg set.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2014 at 04:30 PM ----------

And no you don't need a 90 on the long hose.

Why you are at it, also buy a HOG classic 2nd stage from Jim for your necklace. The cost of HOG is very reasonable and not sacrificing in quality at all.

I have a couple of regs set up with 5' hoses, and without a 90 degree swivel, they are a bit uncomfortable and pull the second stage to the right. Usually this is only a problem for those of us with large torsos, where a 5' hose may be a little short. It also tucks the hose in neatly behind the neck and along the jaw.

Last edited:
Why you are at it, also buy a HOG classic 2nd stage from Jim for your necklace. The cost of HOG is very reasonable and not sacrificing in quality at all.

Won't it complicate maintenance if the backup is a different brand than the primary and the first stage? What if the OP's shop services one but not the other?

Back
Top Bottom