Aqua Light Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

excitron

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen this childrens' snorkeling mask with built-in flashlights:
WP023.jpg

and it got me wondering if anyone has ever made a mask like this for diving. Is there such a thing? I think this is a totally cool idea, but I've never seen it in an actual dive mask (this kids mask is rated down to 1 atmosphere).

Does anyone know of any scuba masks with a design like this? Thanks.

I've seen a couple in different places, on Ebay and also on a review of new stuff from this year's DEMA show. I didn't like the idea, so I haven't kept up on it, but you could find it if you look.
gomi_

Oceanic made a mask like that a while ago. They got rid of it for demand if i remember right. Now, Ocean Reef makes a light for masks, but it only fits in FFM. Underwater Kinetics makes a light that mounts on the mask strap.

Thanks for you replies. Yeah, I've seen that UK thing, but it's too bulky and combersome. This layout is neat, fixed, and focused right where it needs to be. I'm surprised that folks like Oceanic would have a hard time of it selling something like this for diving. This strikes me as a pretty logical approach, especially if you put high-output LEDs in there. I once did a night dive down in Key Largo and I would've love to have had somethng like this that night.

It's the amount of light that you get from a small lamp such as these (Oceanic and the others) and then the backscatter is an issue. At times headlamps are useful, other times, not practical with the blinding backscatter. Even with the latest high output LED's, they take energy, it has to come from somewhere and you generally don't want to carry it on your mask.

Back
Top Bottom