April Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to go on a short diving trip at Easter next year. Does anyone have any suggestions? Because I only have 4-5 days and I'm from HK, places like Layang Layang and Sipadan are out because of commuting time.

What about Thailand at that time? I heard that its peak season ends at Easter, so how does it work if I stay there during Easter? ~Maybe a stupid a question, but anyhow...

chocolate:
Hi all, I would like to go on a short diving trip at Easter next year. Does anyone have any suggestions? Because I only have 4-5 days and I'm from HK, places like Layang Layang and Sipadan are out because of commuting time.

What about Thailand at that time? I heard that its peak season ends at Easter, so how does it work if I stay there during Easter? ~Maybe a stupid a question, but anyhow...
Why don't you try the Phiippines, Anilao and Puerto Galera...

I would like to try somewhere different as I have been to Philippines a few times. I went to Cebu earlier this year and have also been to PG, also I heard that Anilao is quite similar to PG.

Note the reverse monsoon season for Phuket versus the islands in Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea. April is low season for Phuket, and the opening season for Samui, Redang, Perhentian and Tioman.

For options on Islands in Malaysia, please check my website http://www.malaysia-islands.com or it is right under my signature.

April is low season for Phuket
Not yet, the wind will not have changed direction by then, so the diving at the Similans e.g. is possible without problems. It won't be as busy as during the middle of the high season, so you should be ok.

Why not try Lembeh Straits? It is fairly sheltered, so diving is year-round. Had dived there before in July and last trip was in this Oct. There are many resorts there now and I tried this new one called Bakri Cono. very clean and nice. Food was fantastic.

I have just been to Lembeh this last July, have to admit that it is a great place for diving, but would like to try somewhere else this time.

After some more research, I think my first choice would be Thailand, Similans has the most hype, but Hin Daeng seems pretty attractive and so is Burma. Does anyone has any information on these places. I figure I probably have only 3 days of diving or so.

3 Days is not enough for Burma, plus take for Burma into account: it is 'hit or miss', with the number of misses going up the last few years. Plus very expensive because of the 150 US$ entrance fee, going directly to a government which IMO does not deserve any money, etc.

Hin Daeng is very nice diving, and with a liveaboard you normally also go to Hin Bida, Bida Nai and Bida Nok in the Phi Phi area, Koh Haa, etc. So 2 days is really worth it.
I persoanlly prefer Hin Daeng over the Similans, must admit though that part of the reason is that I have not bene diving there as often as I have at the Similans.
Plus: Hin Daeng was the place where the last few years we have seen most manta rays and whalesharks, and you're coming here exactly in the right season for that.
There are more options of course, but this is a new boat, going there on 2 days/3 nights trips, this season very attractively priced.

I second Stevenl's suggestion on diving off Phuket... it could be a gamble with the weather but I was there this year for Easter and it was perfect. Easter next year is in early April so more chances of missing the monsoon. Less crowds (ie no Euro winter tourists) and more fish. Hin Daeng/Similans will be just nice. I also remember that April is the best month to spot pelagics at Hin Daeng because of the plankton bloom.

Stevenl is that the Black Manta? Looks GREAT!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom