April, 2014 Swordfish Island Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the warmth they give off and how well they light the subject, considering our local conditions.

It's funny how the game keeps getting stepped up to another level. I was so happy to get away from my DIY dive light diffuser into a proper video light but now I want two. I've been reading up about back lighting and fill lighting and want to play around with it. I want to camera mount one (off to the side on an arm) and hand hold the other in a goodman glove (which is what I do now) so I can cange the effect.

But before that I have to get off my butt and buy a proper macro lens for my GoPo instead of my POS DIY magnifying lens. Your macro shots are making me envious.

Keep havin fun :)

I like the warmth they give off and how well they light the subject, considering our local conditions.

It's funny how the game keeps getting stepped up to another level. I was so happy to get away from my DIY dive light diffuser into a proper video light but now I want two. I've been reading up about back lighting and fill lighting and want to play around with it. I want to camera mount one (off to the side on an arm) and hand hold the other in a goodman glove (which is what I do now) so I can cange the effect.

But before that I have to get off my butt and buy a proper macro lens for my GoPo instead of my POS DIY magnifying lens. Your macro shots are making me envious.

Keep havin fun :)

The lens I use for the wide-angle stuff is an 8mm fisheye which gives about a 160-degree angle of view (although it's less than that in video mode because of the 16-9 format). It's difficult to find a real light that will light up that wide so I used LED chips from E-bay (about $5) without a reflector. The lighting angle was advertised to be about 160 degrees, but since I use them behind a flat port (in old dive flashlight housings from thrift stores), it drops the angle to about 120 degrees or so. Probably the most expensive part of my lights is the custom 12v NIMH battery pack which cost around $60 if I remember right.

Back
Top Bottom