April 14 - Pt. Lobos Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Jeff and I had a successful Lobos dive today, but our second dive that we decided to move to Breakwater has to be called. All in all a successful day, and here is my dive report. Theres a picture on my blog if you want to have a first hand look at the conditions.

-----------------------------------

This is my last day of diving for this weekend. I had to take Sunday off because I had to file my taxes yesterday. I was a bit concerned with how the conditions may be today, mainly because all of the forecasts were looking pretty grim, but I really wanted to get into the water. Jeff and I had arranged to head over to Pt. Lobos and give it a try assuming the conditions weren’t too bad.

When we arrived at Pt. Lobos the waves weren’t looking all that bad. We decided to suit up and hope for the best when it came to the vis. After gearing up we made our way into the water, the ramp with all of its seaweed and algae does make things interesting. Once in we swam out to about the beginning of the middle reef and ascended there. We took a 0 degree heading and made out way into the reef. All I can say is WOW! I can’t wait to dive Lobos on a day with good conditions. We saw some amazing things, and I can’t believe how thick the kelp gets out there. It must be insane in the summer when its really growing. The visibility wasn’t all too great probably about 10′ in the cove and about 15′ when we swam out to the reef.

It seems however, that the conditions did their part in hiding or making what life there was hide. There was a bunch of purple coral growing on all of the rocks, and a surprising number of anenomies as well. I wonder, and perhaps someone can tell me, if it is common for there to be so many jelly fish. I believe we came across around 5 jelly fish, some lingcod, rockfish, and I think a rainbow surfperch. The low light from the fog mde it difficult to see all that much at depth with the vis how it was.

Right before we decided it was the time to turn back due to our air situation Jeff managed to get himself tangled in some kelp. I just swam under him grabbed the three offending strands and broke them. The pretty much took care of freeing them self at that point, and floated up towards the surface. The surge was IMO somewhat rough. We were moving quite a few (perhaps 6′ or so) with the surge. The good thing for us is that since we were either swimming into or away from it, we didn’t have too many problems avoiding rocks or kelp from it pushing us into them. The exit was a little tough. The waves had picked up some while we were under water and that made getting out on the ramp somewhat challenging. We had to crawl out on the ramp and the waves were pushing us around some. However, we made it out without incident and it was a good ending to a successful dive.

To note, while we were packing it up as we had decided to try to move to Breakwater in hopes for better conditions, there were some ladies that needed assistance. They had rental gear and it appears that there were trying to fine tune their weight in the water at the ramp. That wasn’t going all too well for them and thats when Jeff and I had to assist. The one lady I was assisting needed help putting her quick release weights back in and adding some more to her BCD. Once I got her weights situated we helped her out of the water so she could regroup with her buddy. They had also never dove Lobos before, so we had suggested that they swim out from the ramp to about the middle, drop down and head out at about 0 like we did and then come back at 180. At this point we realized that they needed to both be taught how to use their compass’, and we gave them a crash course. Also, they apparently weren’t aware of how the pressure gauges worked. We suggested to them to keep a close eye on their pressure and to be sure that they were on their ways back well before getting to just above 1000 PSI. We told them to shoot for about 1500 PSI, but their tanks apparently only had 2000 instead of 2400 from MBDC. I don’t know what was up with that, maybe they both wasted that much air messing with their weight. In the end I told them that if at any time they weren’t comfortable that they needed to turn back and not try their luck again.

DIVE #9: 33′ Depth for 00:33 minutes (we were going through air fast because we had to swim against the surge) with 52F water temperatures. We had again about 10-15′ of vis.

Since my server has limited bandwidth to see the pictures just visit the full post.

To date this was definitely the most interesting dive I have ever done. Not only did we see lots of interesting sea life I feel like this was also a great learning experience. I was a little nervous in the morning because of the forecast, and there was a small craft warning in effect starting at 11am.

When we fist got to lobos I climbed up the steps to the top of the point so I could scout out the conditions. Once I was able to see what the water looked like I was a lot more comfortable with the conditions. I could see the waves/surge coming into the cove but it didn't look like anything we couldn't handle.

I wanted to stay at lobos, and do a second dive but thankfully Bbianchi convinced me that we should not. Due to the conditions and the surge, this dive pushed us very close to the edge of our ability. I also didn't realize how tired I was at the time. Swimming in that surge really took a lot out of me, so I'm glad we didn't go back in. I was bummed out that we didn't get to do a second dive, but it was the right choice. I have to remember that I am still new to diving, and shouldn't push myself into a situation that could be dangerous.

I felt bad leaving those women on there own, but I'm a noob. I have just enough skills to look after myself, and my buddy. I know that bbianchi is at the same skill level as myself, and I know I can depend on him. I don't feel like I have the ability to take care of someone that doesn't know what they are doing. I'm still working on my buoyancy control, navigation skills, and if I'm focusing on those skills I could easily forget about watching these women. So I think it was for the best that we didn't help them but I still felt bad about leaving them to there own devices.

Hopefully everything worked out for them.

Wow,

From the sounds of this report it appears the rental divers were looking for trouble. I hope they made it out okay as Lobos is not a site for practicing skills. Break water should be the location for new divers as such...

MG

Hey Bravo on you guys for listening to the small voice in your head telling you to slow down and not do too much too soon.... Maybe the rental guys should have listened to theirs....

The problem sometimes with just getting out of OW is the only people you know/dive with are the guys from your class....

Pt Lobos is a beautiful place and while inside the cove it is not that deep and pretty sheltered the BW is the better place to get comfortable before venturing to other places....

Hey Bravo on you guys for listening to the small voice in your head telling you to slow down and not do too much too soon.... Maybe the rental guys should have listened to theirs....

The problem sometimes with just getting out of OW is the only people you know/dive with are the guys from your class....

Pt Lobos is a beautiful place and while inside the cove it is not that deep and pretty sheltered the BW is the better place to get comfortable before venturing to other places....

Lobos (just what we saw) is an amazing site to dive. I am looking forward to a better day! Perhaps if anyone is going on a Friday they could drop me a note and let me tag along, unless I can get a weekend invite one of these days.

At no time did I feel like I was in trouble or in over my head either on this dive. I honestly think that for the conditions the way that they were, diving lobos was the best idea. It provided a slightly complex environment to practice and improve upon my skills, as well as really work the buoyancy in less than ideal conditions.

I was also surprised to lean that Lobos had by far, better conditions than Breakwater on Monday.

Yes, bravo that you two are getting out there to dive and knowing your limits! That will make you awesome divers and reliable buddies. I can't wait to dive with you both sometime soon. :D

Yes, bravo that you two are getting out there to dive and knowing your limits! That will make you awesome divers and reliable buddies. I can't wait to dive with you both sometime soon. :D

Well Thank You!

This Friday ill have my EANx Cert, and my AOW the first weekend of June. :D

Im getting my DPV with the AOW as well, just because someday id like to get an X-Scooter and whatnot.

That looks like a nice dive. I am very surprised about the divers that you had to help. People really shouldn't dive coldwater without adequate training and experience. That's just my opinion.

Lobos is a beautiful site. I've been fortunate to have a really great day there, and a really bad day as well. Having experienced both ends of the spectrum, I can really appreciate those great days. :)

Good for you all for getting out there and diving. Awesome!

Apparently they rented their gear from MBDC. When I went with Jeff to return his tanks there we mentioned them and apparently they knew these two very well. I guess some months ago they did their cert with them, and needed some extra training 1-1 with the instructor.

What I was shocked by is that knowing the skill level of these divers, knowing that they were planning on diving lobos, and knowing what the ocean conditions were like they didnt really try to convince them to try somewhere else. Granted I dont know what difficulty lobos is considered, but I do know that I do fairly well for my noobish'ness and I was getting tired by the end of the dive there.

Hopefully they both had an enjoyable dive and made it out without incident. The good thing is they did have a third person with them who was staying on shore. Hopefully if something did happen to one, the other was able to relay to him to call for help.

same here.... sign me up for a dive also.... and when you are ready we'll see about those X-scooters (I think I know where I can find some ) :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom