Apr 29 Bohol (Cabilao) pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

sponge.jpg

reef.jpg

coral.jpg

banca.jpg

Great set, Jim. They just keep getting better.

Awesome that you made it over to Cabilao, Jim. Did you do the day trip or stay at La Estrella or Polaris?

And great shots of the locals building the bangka. I think it was already on the 4th pic stage when we left.

Awesome that you made it over to Cabilao, Jim. Did you do the day trip or stay at La Estrella or Polaris?

And great shots of the locals building the bangka. I think it was already on the 4th pic stage when we left.

Just did the one day trip with Philippine Islands Divers out of Alona.

Sad to say I heard the sounds of dynamite fishing while diving Cabilao.

Hi Jim,
It was great meeting you and thanks to your advice I was able to make some progress with UW photography, especially with macro work. Not sure where or even how to post the images I took there, but one things is certain; I'm not going to put them in the same thread as your lovely images.

Actually Jim,
if you click on my "View Gallery" you'll see a few macro images that I've just uploaded. You'll see that I took your advice on positioning of the strobe on board, but any more advice from you would be appreciated once you see what I've been up to.

Nice shots Jim.

Hopefully we'll be able to dive together next time, not just have breakfast :)

Shame about the dynamite :( Such a waste...

Z...

Great images as usual Jim - could you please ID #2 & 3 ?

wow! those are really nice pics. too bad about the dynamite fishing going on though. we should really do something about that.

dennis

72.gif

It is my understanding that dynamite fishing is illegal in the Philippines. However, there is virtually no enforcement via patrol boats or by any other means. My travels to various parts of the R.P. have shown all the reefs to be void of large fish, probably due to overfishing. Dive sanctuaries are in name only as I have seen no enforcement.

There are some 93 million people in this country with a combined land mass about the size of Washington State. Their primary diet is fish and rice. The R.P. has one of the fastest growing populations on the planet. This country faces a food crisis as does many other countries of the world. My stays in the R.P. have convinced me there is nearly no enforcement of any rules or laws.

There was an article in yesterdays Philippine Inquirer about the U.S. giving some 67 million dollars to Indonesia, Philippines and other Asian rim countries for the preservation of their reef systems, which are the most diverse on the planet. One can only be optimistic the money will not evaporate to corruption.

Please don't misunderstand me as I love the R.P. and its people. As a foreigner and guest here I feel I am not entitled to interfere in their politics.

Back
Top Bottom