Apprentice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmount

Registered
Reaction score
Just a question for the gurus out there:
We all know dive classes are expensive and I feel that most classes lack real world skills and tactics, and would rather learn from a person that dives every weekend insted of one who just teaches in a pool. Are there such things as apprentices for diving?
One of these days I am going to have to get a second job to pay for my dive classes, and if its not near the water im not too interested:)
So if anyone has an oppurtunity like this open, or if someone has done something like this before let me know.

Thanks,
gmount

there was a related thread not-too-long-ago on the
subject of "mentoring".

regardless of whether or not you participate in classes
you will *need* mentoring.

always strive to dive with others from whom you can learn
and grow.

The classes are necessary, but a mentor is where you really learn to dive. I'm currently mentoring someone who is new to more aggressive diving, and being mentored by someone in cavediving, and someone else in wreck and ice diving.

I concur that it is extremely important to have a good mentor (probably more so than a good instructor...as he/she is only with you for a few dives). Your mentor can get you to the point where reactions are engraved to muscle memory....most instructors don't/can't spend the time. Do your part and continue the mentor process when you learn.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
The classes are necessary, but a mentor is where you really learn to dive. I'm currently mentoring someone who is new to more aggressive diving, and being mentored by someone in cavediving, and someone else in wreck and ice diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom