Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn’t “aiming for a nerve.” Just trying to be descriptive.
Rather than assuming that someone is a detractor of Apple ******** (sorry, that's just my opinion) because they have a "hard-on", maybe you should allow for the notion that there are Apple fanbois who are addicted and that maybe he's just critical because he is actually objective. You were aiming. That's why you truncated the quote in your reply.

Where did you learn to read?

I’ve always wanted to do that!
You appear to be able, it's just that you're obviously selective as to how to how you frame the argument to which you are replying that seems to completely dismiss the point. If you don't want to read a thread, you should probably refrain from posting in it IMO. But I suspect you'll truncate this and continue to shitpost at me.

As you said before, reading pages of a thread on Scubaboard is quite a time investment which requires motivation. It doesn't require the ability to read minds. Nor does it require the use of an Apple device.

As someone who wouldn't be buying this product:

I lost count of how many dives I have done in 20+ years but going off of where I have been and an estimate of the number of dives I have done in those several dozen countries and also the courses I have completed and the jobs I have had, it's at least 2400 dives. I don't do tech, just recreational. I have used a dive computer for less than 120 of those dives. The only incident I have ever had was an ear infection. I take meticulous care of my equipment, which was all chosen after thorough consideration. I have no need for AI currently but my wife wants to put a transmitter on my first stage connected to her wrist. She never has before but we'd like to both have the same devices on our wrists.

Yeah, I have done over 2000 recreational dives with no dive computer on my wrist. I have pretty much memorized the PADI dive table and worn a cheap Casio everyday since I fought in Afghanistan in 2002. I am looking for a new watch.

The reason why I wouldn't buy this is two-fold and based on my subjective experiences. The main reason I probably wouldn't buy it is simply that it is Apple. The second is that it's Oceanic. I don't care if it has AI or not. However, as I described, I think I'd be exactly the sort of person that a product like this is meant for. So I am open to being convinced to reconsider.

I had an Apple laptop once and I found that their design philosophy wasn't compatible with my mindset. In my experience, they were prone to having proprietary applications for each task or software package and even firmware for each various OEM peripheral that weren't completely compatible or not compatible at all with other ecosystems. They certainly weren't hackable and it seemed like every update brought new features that were either difficult or impossible to roll back. That's the cost of "it just works", sometimes it doesn't and it never goes exactly the way you want it to and you are forced to learn new features or have your interface changed regularly. Seeing as how I am still content with Windows 7 and a damn Casio, I'm not in a rush to buy the new thing and I don't like my kit not working the way I'm used to. For example, I have an MR22/Abyss reg because it's heavy and it's older than some of your girlfriends in fact it's more than half my age and I see it working for me for at least another two decades.

As for Oceanic, yeah I owned one piece of Oceanic gear, a dive computer and I hated it as I mentioned earlier in the thread. That's the reason I took another decade to consider getting a dive computer. I mean I absolutely hated that thing. I have also seen quite a few pieces of Oceanic gear on other people that didn't scream quality and it's true, the same can be said of other brands, even those I have owned and still own. But I will concede it's possible a lot has changed in that time as well.

So why the hell should I consider dropping a bunch of money on this thing?

Why do you have such a hard-on for the AWU/DC?

Sorry, but I don’t have a better way to express this.

Fanbois always see someone with objective critiques as having some kind of axe to grind.

Earlier this year, I replaced everything Google that I owned with all Apple. I am pro-Apple, in general. But, I am not blind or an apologist for the flaws in their products. It would really be great, in my book, if the AWU was a great dive computer that I could actually use for my diving. I sincerely wish it was. But, it isn’t and I can’t.

I’m on my third Apple Watch (upgraded quickly from a 3, had a 6 for 18 months, and now 8 for a year). I wear the damn thing to bed. My iPad and iPhone are velcroed to me. Ultra doesn’t work for my diving. In addition to the buggy crap, no transmitters, no want. I have two Perdix AI (2018 and 2020). Petrel 3 on my CCR. I’ll stick with Shearwater for diving.

"Ultra doesn’t work for my diving."
  • "I have two Perdix AI"
  • "Petrel 3 on my CCR"
  • "…my CCR"
^^ 3 reasons ^^ — why you're not even in the zip code of AWU's target DC market.

"Fanbois always see someone with objective critiques as having some kind of axe to grind."

Tell you what…

I can admit I'm a fanboi, if you can admit you're a hater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom