Apple Airtags - use on dive equipment for security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

15m is the range for BT in open air. With even one layer of metal in between, the range drops off immensely. It's not that hard to screen an airtag from the driver of a car. Whoops more info for the bad guys!

Post trip…

All went well for my fist flight in three years. The rebreather in its Pelicase survived along with the two other cases of diving paraphernalia.

I traveled with a friend and put the four AirTags into four of the five cases. They worked in that they tracked the cases but it was fairly intermittent. It worked better in the large UK airport than the smaller island airport. When we flew home two cases reported their last position on the island until it was unloaded in the UK.

Pleased with the results and worth the $100 for the four AirTags.

I’ll give it 4 out to 5.

I use them on all luggage. Good idea to try to put on the equipment but the reality is the equipment is never too far from me.

There is difference between stolen and lost. AirTags were not designed for stolen objects.

I have my airtags placed in a location that a thief would not be likely to get an alert. It's a vehicle, a large vehicle, and the tag is not placed near the driver. So the thief is not likely to get an alert. Also, there is no scenario in which a beep would be useful to me. I'm not sure what your point is here but if I was using the device for stalking it is not likely I would post here on SB.
Again, AirTags are not designed for stolen objects. Placing you Airtag far from the driver reduces your chances to find the vehicle. Your AirTag must be detected by someone’s iPhone in order for you to find it. What you need is a GPS tacking device.

Placing you Airtag far from the driver reduces your chances to find the vehicle. Your AirTag must be detected by someone’s iPhone in order for you to find it.
Seems like it would be detected by someone standing next to the car. Such as at a stop light or parking lot. Or by the driver when they got out, a condition where they would no longer be traveling with the car.

Just to clarify, it seems like it would use as a link the iPhone of anyone next to the vehicle. Who in most cases would not be traveling with it, and thus not alerted to it. So a good bit of the 'get away' drive would likely be tracked.

In the case of that person being the driver, whether it alerts would seem to depend on if 'travel with' means in motion with us, or keeps turning up the same places we do, but is never with us when we move. And whether it forwards the linked data before alerting or after the alert is dismissed. Yet if the driver takes it to to chop shop, and the person opening the garage door has a phone, which sends the location before the driver gets out and back in range to also be a link, then which of the above "travels with" definitions applies may not matter. Or if other persons phone sends before the shop disconnects everyones cell service until they finish the find and destroy any bugs phase of cleaning the vehicle.

Fun stuff.

(Apple, my security consulting fees are....)

My car is in a semi-public garage right now and its location is constantly updated. Usually when I check it the latest update is within the hour. Also, I know a number of people who walk by it daily and nobody has gotten the "you are being tracked" message. So in general I think this approach works fine. It's a ten-year-old vehicle so the airtag is the max I am willing to spend to cover it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom