appendicitis recover time before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolsen

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to see how long after having my appendics removed should I wait to dive. I'm going to at least waiting till the staples are removed. I did talk with my surgent and doc, who both gave me a strange look and answer-dont lift anything over 10# for six weeks. The weight of my gear in the water is not the same as out of the water. I can gear up in the water since others are willing to help. How long have others waited? Are there other things I should be considering? :shakehead::confused:

It's not just the weight lifting. There's also the infection risk. And if you had the procedure done laproscopically, then you were inflated like a balloon, and not all of that gas is removed. So you're waiting on for that to be absorbed.

The gas will be absorbed pretty quickly, but 6 weeks is not unreasonable, given the lifting restrictions and the infection risk. I'm in the same boat. I had my appendix removed, along with 18" of gut, because of CA on Aug 17th. One of the first things I did after seeing my CT was to look at the calendar and be happy, because I'd be healed in plenty of time for our trip to Curacao. :)

I doubt your abdomen will permit you to lift scuba equipment until at least after a month out anyway. You will likely feel pain if you try. I'd suggest you follow the doctors' advice and not even try it for AT LEAST six weeks. See how you're doing at that point and don't push yourself beyond your limits.

I had my appendix removed and I can tell you for a fact that I had trouble standing up from a seated position for the first week or so. Unless you are Wolverine (from X-Men), you won't want to lift anything heavy for a while...

Infection was the one thing they worried about. Good point. I have the calendar marked all ready. Normal diving season is short in Minnesota and the weather is already changing quick. Thanks for the feed back.

If you had an open procedure, you definitely want to wait six weeks before carrying or lifting gear. Hernias are aggravating and may require another operation, so best to avoid them.

If you had the procedure done laparascopically, the wait time doesn't need to be as long, but should probably be at least a couple of weeks. General anesthesia does weird things to your thinking and your stamina, and it takes a while to get back on your feet. One of my colleagues (a surgeon herself) had a thyroidectomy, an operation that involves no working parts and removes about one ounce of tissue. She was AMAZED at how long it was before she had her normal stamina back.

And if you had the procedure done laproscopically, then you were inflated like a balloon, and not all of that gas is removed. So you're waiting on for that to be absorbed.

Hey Dog,

As regards the insufflation, typically the surgeon endeavors to release the introduced gas when the procedure is complete, but as you say some may remain. If CO2 is used, any remaining amounts are absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly, like by the time you're out of recovery. In cases where air or nitrogen is introduced (and I believe this now is infrequent), some gas could be around for about a week before it completely disappears.

Regards,

DocVikingo

PS: Enjoy Curacao.

Back
Top Bottom