Apopka Blue Hole..west of rock springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone been back recently to see what the state is of the sink?

MOD EDIT at poster's request: The sinkhole area I visited was about 15-20 feet deep, compared to the original 30. This appeared to be the only sinkhole of any kind whatsoever in the area. What appeared to be a sinkhole had been completely filled in.

For anybody still wanting to go, I parked in front of 4802 Anton Ave, and walked to an open vehicle access point in front of 4611 Anton. There were 3 extremely vandalized warning signs that were totally unreadable, so I figured that would be my 'get out of jail free card' if busted.

However, I received information today from 2 different sources. The first, telling me the coordinates I'd received were off by ~700 feet (and definitely searching in the wrong patch of woods). Secondly, and more importantly, another source who said they personally went out there for me today and confirmed it does in fact exist and looks totally untouched and completely normal. Therefore, stay tuned' until I can post new photos/video.

Why would anyone do this? Are you sure you were in the right spot? I've not been out there but that area you're in doesn't look all the disturbed and it's possible it's just a depression

Feel free to check it out yourself. It's not far from UCF...

From the city's standpoint (the owner), it's nothing but a liability, as opposed to an asset for us. As for the location, if you have coordinates that are different than caveatlas, please post them.

Cave atlas has condition updates from 2017 that state it was filled in back then. The videos do look similar to the cave atlas still photos (same live oakcanopy and saw palmetto understory). Capping it makes more ecological sense since it was really just an unsupervised nuisance and potential groundwater contamination point. However, that's my biologist opinion and not my cave diver opinion :^)

Cave atlas has condition updates from 2017 that state it was filled in back then. The videos do look similar to the cave atlas still photos (same live oakcanopy and saw palmetto understory). Capping it makes more ecological sense since it was really just an unsupervised nuisance and potential groundwater contamination point. However, that's my biologist opinion and not my cave diver opinion :^)

Depressing as it is to know that the site is lost, thank you for confirming it. It has been a bit of a mystery for a few years with several people having different views about whether it still existed or not.

So you found the "real" Apopka Blue Hole and it hasn't been filled in?!

That's great news!! Thanks for your efforts!

Fantastic work! What a breath of fresh air to know it's absolutely untouched and still as gorgeous as ever.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom