Apollo Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveDog:
I am considering buying the spring straps for my Apollo Bio Fins. I see the mounting is permanent. What do you have to do to install them?

Dave

I have these spring straps for my Apollo's. I love them. these have the plastic buckles, so they are potentially not as bullet proof as some of the other. But I picked them up in FL, and they did not have the more expensive ones. I also found them in yellow which I like as it REALLY stands out. My FL dive buddy said she could easily identify me due to the yellow strap pulls.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item...ort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6=523/AQUEZR.html

If you want the metal mounts which would potentially be more rugged EZ offers those as well. IMO the point that generally breaks is the rubber that cracks.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item...ort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6=523/AQUEZP.html

I highly recommend spring straps!

I have the Apollo spring straps on my bio fins, and I have spring straps from Innovative Scuba on my Jet fins. Honestly, I can't tell much difference in them. The Apollos have cave line inside the spring, and the Innovatives do not. Other than that, they seem to be the same. I definitely wouldn't carve up a pair of fins just to install the Apollo spring straps when there are many other alternatives out there.

Just to add to the already great ideas making spring straps.
I agree with not modding the fin permanently by cutting off the knobs
on the sides of the fin.
Still using the same stainless steel springs from McMaster Carr:
either the .062" wire dia. spring
Part Number: 3932K54 $5.14 per Pack of 1
or the less tension spring with wire dia. of .054"
Part Number: 3932K53 $4.80 per Pack of 1

Here is where I deviated a little bit

I threaded a split ring (like what you put your keys on)
onto the fin knob
and then threaded the end of the spring onto the split ring.
McMaster Carr has the Stainless Steel Split rings available
with the correct inside diameter.
I didn't have enough time to get the SS variety
so I bought a nickel plated set from the local lock and key store
They corroded a bit in the salt water at Cozumel but they did not fail.
It gives the spring straps a real clean connection.
I don't have a web site to show pics
But would be happy to send images, directions, and part numbers through e-mail.

sreno155

Wayward Son:
These are what I make for Apollos . . . .

I cut them custom to fit the diver.

Pretty Cool! Are those little tiny clevis pins that go around the posts?

Just out of curiousity, do you cut them custom to length without having the person (or their boots) right there? Do you have them adjust their straps and measure or what? Just wondering.

Wristshot

PS: Your avatar cracks me up every time I see it. I had to show one of my friends at work also.

I replace the shackle pins with stainless steel screws.

In order to cut them right, I have to get the diver to remove the strap & buckles & put the fin on while wearing a boot. Then measure from the center of one post, around the heel, to the center of the other.

With that measurment I can figure out how much to cut the spring, relative to my wife's set.

Wayward Son:
I have also worked out a way to make a 'pull tab' for them using 1/8 inch braided nylon line, fo divers who need it. I don't have pics of this, I'll have to borrow a digital camera for that. I should have some pics in a few days.

QUOTE]

Hey, Wayward. I'd be interested in what you have come up with for the pull tab. I use a simple loop of nylon line for a pull tab but am not too happy with my effort.

Cheers, Zimpod

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom