Apo Reef!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Philippines lovers,

I'm planning my first trip back to the Philippines since being dragged into Manila by my Filipina mum at the age of 12. Hopefully this time, as a more well travelled person - and I diver - I'll be able to gain a bit more appreciation for my mother country!

I've just booked flights for the end of November and want to spend about 6 days exploring the best diving the Philippines has to offer. Apo Reef sounds fabulous, but there seems to be a surprising lack of first hand info about it on this board.
I'd really like to hear from people who've been there recently. Supposedly fishing has been banned there since 2007 - how well is the reef really protected and is it the best place to see bigger fish?

I'm on a budget so thinking of staying at Vicky's Guest House in Maricaban, Busuanga and using Dugong Dive Center to take the overnight trip to Apo. That way I could also visit a couple of the Coron wrecks. Can anyone comment on Dugong Divers?

Thanks for your help everyone - I've got a dive mad boyfriend who'll be on his first visit to the Fils so I've got to make sure we get some seriously spectacular diving in!

Dugong Diver Center is located in Club Paradise in Dimakya island. The last time I dove/dived (correct?) with them was December 26-29, 2004 (26th, that Tsunami event). They got experienced DMs/guides back then, no idea today.

Apo reef is a day trip...hmmm if I recall it costs around $200, 3 dives including snacks. Rentals were ok except for the spgs my wife and I used. They didn't have depth gauges:D..

You may want to look here too Apo Reef Club and Pandan Island

other places to consider...Anilao, Bohol, Cebu, Malapascua, Moalboal, Panay, Puerto Galera, Sogod Bay in Southern Leyte.

Thanks. According to the Dugong website they also service El Rio Y Mar and Vicky's Guest House, and can offer an overnight trip to Apo Reef as well as being able to visit the Coron wrecks. Will probably bring all my own gear.

What was the reef like when you went there? I'm amazed at how few people seem to have been there. Is it because it's not that great, or just because its less convenient to Manila/long boat trips/expensive'? Or maybe it's completely amazing and the divers who know about it don't want to share :)

I was strongly considering Sogod Bay as well because I'd love to see whale sharks, but does it offer a whole lot else? I'm really hoping for dives with big pelagics and huge schools of fish - seems like a marine sanctuary like Apo would be the best bet. I think the scenery/beaches around Busuanga are a really big drawcard for me.

Send an email to Discovery Divers, they might do a trip out to Apo Reef from Coron.

I have not gone to Apo Reef because most of the trips out of Manila are liveaboard based. There are plenty of other great dive destinations to enjoy in the PI at a fraction of the cost. Someday I'll get there. I'll probably do what you're doing and go via Coron.

End of november is a tad too early for the whalesharks. not much else to do in Sogod Bay Except dive.

Also take a look at Bohol, they have large schools of fish.

For anyone else who is interested: Dugong Dive Center
Their operation (at Club Paradise) is significantly closer to Apo Reef compared with Coron. It seems to be the most affordable way to visit Apo (other than maybe Pandan Island), with the bonus of wrecks nearby as well.

i havent tried apo reef from club paradise but its reputed to be the best next to tubbataha. i enjoyed diving the house reef of club paradise with all the turtles, fishes and macro critters there. i think i dove the house reef 3-4 times when i was there. i think rio y mar is also owned by club paradise.

i was just at club paradise and rio and went diving with the dugong dive guys on their house reef and around coron (barracuda lake and siete picados, but no wrecks. they're a good bunch of guys. although i wanted to do the wrecks and apo reef, there's a minimum of 5 or 6 guest to sign up before they will go. so my luck ran out, i didn't get to go. I'm now looking into live aboards and its looking pretty expensive to go on a live aboard, last website I checked goes around $870 per diver for 4 nights and 5days and nights. so i think your plan is way better. I also got a quote for tubbataha and it was like 42k pesos per diver.. ouch.. I need to save up some for these trip. anyway good luck.. i hope you enjoy your trip, I sure did.

Ons

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom