APO ISLAND Accident or just waiting to die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abrown203:
Here is another link to what looks like the same AP article.
Actually the 2nd article has some radically different information:
However, de Leon said they dove from Chapel point, one of the safest dive sites off Apo.
The 1st article said Coconut point, a place known for wild currents.

and
Reading the divers' dive computers, Pascobello said they first went to a depth of 94 meters and then went up to 85 meters, where they stayed for 4 minutes. They then went back to 94 meters and spent 20 minutes. Then they climbed to 15 meters and Sarrosa surfaced four times "as if seeking assistance."
That DOES sound like a profile that was either intentional or a result of narcosis ..... a downcurrent doesn't keep somebody at depth for 24 minutes.

They dove Chapel point. My theory is they dropped something on their way back up and being narc'd went back down to find it. i hope we find out

something is fishy here, I dont believe that they could stay there that long on twin 80's

Ben_ca:
Any updates? What kind of injuries did the survivor have? Treatment table ect?

I talked to my co-worker (cousin of survivor) today. She didn't know specifics, but told me that he is "ok", though he has some lingering/long term side effects. Good news given the circumstances. I may have more info in a week or so.

paolov:

Sometimes the thread lives longer than the news article so I pasted it below.

Scuba diver dies off Apo Island

Posted 01:44am (Mla time) Feb 28, 2005 By Alex V. Pal Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A18 of the Feb. 28, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental, Philippines -- A Filipino scuba diver died while his dive buddy was injured on Saturday after diving off Apo Island in Dauin town, Negros Oriental province.

Mario Pascobello, Apo Island barangay captain, identified the fatality as Raymond Gonzaga of Bacolod City. His dive buddy, Michael Sarrosa, said to be a nephew of Negros Occidental Governor Joseph Marañon, was rushed to Cebu City for treatment of decompression sickness.

Decompression sickness, also called the bends, is caused by nitrogen bubbles forming in the bloodstream and tissues of the body. The bubbles occur if one moves from deep water towards the surface (where the surrounding pressure is lower) in too short a time.

Gonzaga and Sarrosa were part of a team of about 15 divers who came on board a pump boat from Liloan town in Cebu province late Saturday morning.

They dove without a local dive guide off Coconut Point in the northern side of Apo, considered the island's most dangerous point because of the treacherous
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
current, which spreads in four directions.

Pascobello said the two divers, bringing two Scuba tanks each, entered the water ahead of their companions and were separated from the group.

After 28 minutes under water, Gonzaga surfaced and collapsed after getting into the pump boat. He never regained consciousness, Pascobello said.

Pascobello said Sarrosa was able to resurface and got into another pump boat where he found a spare scuba tank. He immediately went on a decompressing dive.

A decompression dive makes a diver stay at a fixed safe depth for several minutes to allow the nitrogen accumulated in the body to escape from the bloodstream.

Pascobello said that from all indications, the two divers got the "bends" or decompression sickness. This happens when divers go too deep or go beyond the prescribed time limit under water.

In the case of the two divers, they went beyond the safe diving depth of 130 feet, as indicated by the data on their portable dive computers.

Pascobello said one diver registered having gone to a depth of 100 meters, or about 300 feet, but surfaced after only 28 minutes -- not enough time for them to decompress.

Then they climbed to 15 meters and Sarrosa surfaced four times "as if seeking assistance."

Pascobello said Gonzaga was probably the fifth diver and the first Filipino diver to die while diving off Coconut Point on Apo Island in recent years.

The other casualties were two Japanese, an American and a German.

Pascobello stressed that the incident could have been avoided had they hired local dive guides familiar with the currents in the various dive spots in the island

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom