apex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes,

Do a search for Apeks (note the spelling, common mistake). Anyway the atx 40 does not have the fine tuning knob that the atx 50 has. Anyway there are many threads that cover this topic in detail.

Yep just another nob to play with that you will probably never need to use, and you will probably change the settings by accident , I went for the atx40 , from what I understand it fine tunes the ease of breathing at depths, but I've never found this necessary!

I use it when swiming against curent. In rivers I had some problems with SP S550 going to freeflow. TX100- just turn the knob:D

is the main difference...I have a 50 and have
used the knob ever so often....it is a nice
little extra if you want to spend for it, but
in terms of performance, no difference

I have an ATX200 and an ATX50, I like the adjustable second stage. I like to have it set right on the verge of freeflow when I'm diving and then tune it down when I'm at the surface. The non-adjustables are most likely set in the midrange to allow ease of breathing but still resist freeflow.

Each of the above are the same, with exception to minor differences.
On the Tx50, there is supposed to be a metal collar attached to the second stage (where hose fits to reg) called a "heat exchanger". The other two do not have this. I really do not believe the "heat exchanger" is anything but a marketing tool to get a few more dollars out of the same regulator. The Tx50 also has an external 'fine tuning' knob.

The Tx40 is the same at the Tx50, less the fine tuning knob. However, that said, the components are identical and the fine tuning can still be achieved by using an allen key if needed. Basically, they just removed the knob, not the ability to adjust.

The T20, is the same as the Tx40, less the "heat exchanger".

The same rebuild kit covers them all, which also goes for the first stages.

Basically, the convenience of an easy to grab external knob vs. using an allen key is the only real difference.

Beware on early T40 and TX40 and 20 models the bit with the internal hex is NOT, repeat NOT an adjustment it actually holds the pieces together and could cause the reg to fall apart if screwed out. Take care if you can screw it all the way out its not an adjuster its an end cap, if you can only screw it fully in to fully out (about 6 full turns) its an adjuster....

Cheers

Brian C

torbaydiver once bubbled...
Yep just another nob to play with that you will probably never need to use, and you will probably change the settings by accident , I went for the atx40 , from what I understand it fine tunes the ease of breathing at depths, but I've never found this necessary!
I use my knob all the time as well. Its a very handy thing to have.
Its great when you go into a high flow cave, tune it down a bit, then crank it back out when your throught the restriction.

Dave

torbaydiver once bubbled...

For the record - I have an adjustable 2nd stage (although it's an Oceanic Delta3) and I use the adjuster particularly when in current.

Query: Torbaydiver - if you chose the atx40, then how would you know how often someone else might use the adjuster on the atx50? :question: Did you perhaps have an adjustable 2nd stage previously but found you didn't require it for the conditions in which you dive? Just wondering.

Diverlady

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom