Apex TX-100, 1/2" MP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Based on earlier discussions of the ½” MP port of the TX-100, I decided to ask Apex why it was there. This is what they said, and by the way their response was timely and courteous; I’m impressed!

Dear Mike,

When we started to use the 1/2" port, a lot of the other manufacturers were using it already and we did it so our hoses would be compatible with other manufacturers and the regs would have the ability to use both hose types on the market. Now everyone has gone away from it except us. We are looking at the situation.

You shouldn't have a problem, as the main 2nd stage is fitted to this port when you buy the reg new, which leaves you with 3 other 3/8" ports to use.

Regards
Landon Helsby

For whatever reason, when I purchased my TX-100 from the LDS the second stage was connected to one of the 3/8” ports. Perhaps they thought they were doing me a favor? I’m annoyed that they didn’t tell me about it though. I’ll have to investigate.

Mike

The 1/2" port is just a PITA and offers no advantages. I've talked to Landon quite a bit about it over the last couple years. He told me last month they were thinking about getting rid of it. If they do, I'll pick up a couple TX100 first stages for my doubles. I'm just going to wait for a while. I got rid of my other one.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
If they do, I'll pick up a couple TX100 first stages for my doubles. I'm just going to wait for a while. I got rid of my other one.
Why Mike?
You only need two 3/8" ports on each reg.... plug the 1/2" port.
Is the TX100 a swivel like the DST or is it like the flathead?

If you're using argon all the time, then you can plug the 1/2" port on the left post. If you're using the left post for suit inflation, then you have to contend with the 1/2" port.

Yeah, it's just like the Flathead.

Mike

I do, and I like them, but I like TX100's too. I just don't like the 1/2" port they currently have. I still have a bunch of ugly regs that need replacing so, hopefully, Apeks will come out with new TX100 first stage. I'm not in a rush -- I'm quite content with my DS4's.

:)

Mike

That's true, I bought my Apeks TX100 here in Brazil some weeks ago and it came with the second stage fitted to the 1/2" port.

Cya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom