Apex ATX200 vs. ScubaPro MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your reg is covered by a warranty, then you do NOT pay for service kits when your reg is serviced by an authorized tech every other year. If your reg needs service at a more frequent interval, you still only get free parts every OTHER year, and you will have to pay for additional service kits. This does not include labor, you always have to pay that unless someone is really nice to you. If you are servicing your own reg, you will have to pay for the service kits, that implies that you can buy them somewhere... OF course, your own labor is worth only what your time is worth to you.

Actually, the testing conducted by Rodale's is now carried out in a water filled pressure chamber. The water temp is usually around 70 degrees, so it isn't an indicator for cold water performance. The overall WOB is affected by the water's density against the exhaust valve membrane. There are a number of manufacturers in Europe that have been using the water chamber for a few years now.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's

Greg, that is interesting to know. How long has Rodale's been using the wet chamber vs the dry bench? I still think the best tests are the one's they did at McMurdo Station which were done over entire dive seasons and thousands of dives under the ice with real divers not breathing machines. Ten years ago the Sherwood Maximus came up tops but things are probably much different today.

I left the mag about two years ago, around the same time they transfered the reg testing to Dive Lab in Panama City. Prior to that, they were renting ANSTI time from ScubaPro in California. Dive Lab has been using the wet chamber test for some time and actually records the water temp on the WOB charts. The last batch of testing data that I worked with was from around the same time that I left to get a "real job".

I miss those days very much, but my work commitments on the new job require me to put in 50-60 hours per week. Oh, well......

Greg

I have them both and use them both. I find that the Scubapro breathes alittle more natural but I end up with a very dry mouth and throat using it, not so with the Apeks. On the other hand I get a better SAC rate using the Apeks. I use them both in warm and cold. YMMV.

cloned_person:
I have them both and use them both. I find that the Scubapro breathes alittle more natural but I end up with a very dry mouth and throat using it, not so with the Apeks. On the other hand I get a better SAC rate using the Apeks. I use them both in warm and cold. YMMV.

Thanks a ton to all of you for your feedback. I decided on the Apeks, can't wait to get out and dive!!

The mk25/s600 combo breaths very well. I've had students freeze them up in 46F water before, but I've only had trouble on Ice dives with them (that was under 2' of ice too). I've also had a friend that has frozen up a couple in the atlantic off of carolinas. I would go with something other than the scubapros if you are looking at below 40F water. Good luck with your apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom