Apex, Atomic ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imjustdave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Started diving years ago and used a nice Zeagle branded Apex regulator 50D comes to mind... Fast forward 15+ years and Im back in the water :) and the wife is also taking some classes... Been diving on some borrowed gear and last dive was on my recently services Apex... WOW I love that reg glad to have it back. borrowed stuff sucks.

Anyways, I plan on diving more and I can see double cylinders in my future, tech and maybe cave diving.. My LDS pushes Atomic M1 Regulators as the one reg that does it all. I enjoy the performance of my Apex -Zeagle din regs and plan on using this for single tank diving and then having 2 identical regs for doubles.

I guess my question is.. if I like the Apex should I stay with them? I try not to be a brand specific whore, I want quality over hype. Atomic seems to have a 2 year service interval -300 dives which is cool, I just really don't want to waste any money.. well more then needed is a better term.

If I went with a Apex any recommendations?

I live in Seattle, so Salt water, cold, deep dives are planned.

if you like Apex then stay with them ! i always loved mares until i moved to an area where mares was hard to get parts for so i went over to Atomic ST1 and love them but i couldnt tell the difference in breath or anything it does what i need! simple

The XTX 200 (FSR) first stage has a replaceable high pressure seat, which was the reason I chose this particular model.
The second stages form XTX50 to XTX200 are identical (minus the decal).
If you want the best for routing your doubles-hoses the DST with fifth port might be an option. DirDirect :: Regulators & Hoses :: First Stages :: Apeks DST 5th Port Conversion Kit

I've got 7 XTX50 with DS4 DINs. They all perform great and are strong work horse regulators. Had them down to 160' with no problems. My oldest one is about 6 years old and other than maintenance, I haven't had any issues. They are a little cheaper than the XTX200, so if you are needing to save some money, they are a good option. The XTX200 is also a good regulator. The good thing about the XTX 200 is it has a smaller first stage. Honestly, there really isn't much difference in the XTX 50 vs 200 in the second stage. They are almost identical and work the same. The difference between the two is the first stage.

I can't speak for the Atomic. Our LDS sells both Atomic and Apeks. Both are good and I doubt you will go wrong with either. I just tend to favor Apeks!

I dive and really like Atomic regs but I am going to say if you like the Apex and it works for you continue down that road. They are fine regs and will serve you just as well. I will toss one bit to ya. We looked hard at the Apex regs but what moved us over to the Atomic regs was their second stages, more streamline and not as clunky.

Your Zeagle/Apeks 1st stage is the current Apeks DST 1st stage.
Your Tec50D 2nd stage is the Apeks TX50....same guts as the current XTX range but with a bigger inhalation diaphragm and non CE poppet that makes it the best breathing 2nd stage made by Apeks.

15 years ago Apeks and Scubapro were the reg of choice for tech divers.....they still are today.

Last edited:
Apeks are made in the UK and North Sea diving is deep and cold, so their regulators are up to the task of diving off the coast of Seattle. The two-year service interval was new to the industry when Atomic introduced it but most manufacturers now have a two-year service intervals for their regulators, even the older models. So it is nothing special anymore. A bit of history, Zeagle used to be the US distributor for Apeks when Apeks was a private company. Apeks was purchased by Aqualung and is sold through Aqualung (Seaquest) dealers. Aqualung has a very large (if not the largest) worldwide distribution network. You old regulators are still serviceable and use the same kits as the new models.

Atomic regulators are piston regulators if you want to seal them then they need to be filled with O2-safe grease which is expensive. Your Apeks regulators are diaphragm regulators and use an environmental cap for sealing. This means the Atomics will be more expensive to service.

My recommendation is that if you are happy with the Apeks regulators then stick with them. I do not see where the Atomics offer you any advantage over the Apeks. I think Fishpie may have been a little to general when saying the guts are the same between your old regulator and the new ones. I know the ATX and XTX lines uses a different knob than the older TX-series. Also I think with the XTX line they dropped the 1/2 LP port on the first stages.

IIRC they dropped the 1/2" port with the the ATX range.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 02:37 AM ----------

I agree with everything ams511 says, unless you're looking for a new toy I'd keep what you have.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 02:46 AM ----------

Full discloser, I dive Apeks and have had zero issues. I have also owned Atomic, had an issue out of the box, ran into service issue while traveling, there was no noticeable difference in breathing and I already had Apeks tools and service kits, I sold the Atomic.

Apeks discontinued the 1/2" port on the first stage, in those that had one, with the XTX series. The US4/DS4 never had a 1/2" port. When fishpie says "guts" I am sure he means internal parts, which do not include the knob. The knobs after the TX series have a micro adjustment which is actually of rather limited usefulness.

Zeagle was the US distributor for Apeks until about the year 2000. As recall, Zeagle had the opportunity to purchase the company and refused (a monumental blunder), after which it was snapped up by Aqualung. Zeagle then began to produce their own versions of the Apeks regs, which were made in the USA and had a notable change in the HP seat. The Zeagle made regs are excellent, but have never been wildly popular, and do not hold their value like Apeks.

Last edited:
Zeagle was the US distributor for Apeks until about the year 2000. As recall, Zeagle had the opportunity to purchase the company and refused (a monumental blunder), after which it was snapped up by Aqualung. Zeagle then began to produce their own versions of the Apeks regs, which were made in the USA and had a notable change in the HP seat. The Zeagle made regs are excellent, but have never been wildly popular, and do not hold their value like Apeks.

I also heard a similar story except that Apeks was for sale because it was on the verge of bankruptcy. Aqualung (Air Liquide) is a much bigger company than Zeagle (which was sold a year or so ago) so they would be better able to absorb any future losses than Zeagle. Also my understanding is Zeagle had new regulator designs ready based on Apeks but with improvements like the HP seat you mentioned. I would not consider passing on the purchase of Apeks a blunder.

Back
Top Bottom