Apeks XTX50 for Ice Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every time I tell the story of my Apeks malfunctioning, people assume that dry-breathing or some other kind of user error caused it. No people!!!! I did not dry breath it as I am/was fully aware that first breath should happen under the water. I turned the valve on, it leaked! Pure and simple. My lone experience should not be used to judge Apeks as the same reg is preferred in a lot of extremely cold nations.

I turned the valve on, it leaked! Pure and simple.
I've had that happen. Not a full-scale freeflow, though. More like a slow leak which didn't cause any problems as soon as I was below water. And a service at a competent LDS fixed the problem (the reg was due for service anyway...).

My lone experience should not be used to judge Apeks as the same reg is preferred in a lot of extremely cold nations.
I guess there's a reason Apeks (AFAIK) is one of the preferred brands in Northern Europe, also among tec divers. :)

Why not just buy a matching 2nd stage?

---------- Post added September 9th, 2015 at 11:15 PM ----------

I have the scuba pro MK25 EVO first stage. I'm assuming my 1st stage and the XTX50 Octo I linked above will work well? I use a scuba pro A700 as my main reg.

The XTX50 Octo is the same as the primary XTX50 save being yellow, it will work fine.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2015 at 11:16 PM ----------

Sorry, didn't notice you were using an A700 primary, that would be an expensive Octo.

But a cool one....

Whenever looking at octo specs I can never tell if it's good for cold water or not. The Scubapro S360 caught my eye though. Would it also be suitable? Thanks again.

Amazon.com : ScubaPro S360 Balanced Octo : Diving Regulators : Sports & Outdoors

S360/S560 would not be suitable. They MUST have a metal barrel for safety. Not to say a plastic barrel can't be used, but it is at a much higher risk for freeflow. The R095/R195 is a much better regulator than the S360 for this application. R095 is the same design AFAIK but doesn't have the venturi adjustment.Should be identical otherwise.

The XTX50 Octo is the same as the primary XTX50 save being yellow, it will work fine.
And the XTX40 is the same as the XTX50, except for the venturi adjustment, the tuning knob and the exhaust ports (narrow instead of wide). You can tune it, you just need a hex key so it's a little difficult to do it underwater.

And the XTX40 is the same as the XTX50, except for the venturi adjustment, the tuning knob and the exhaust ports (narrow instead of wide). You can tune it, you just need a hex key so it's a little difficult to do it underwater.

Yes. I had some ATX40s but just for the sake of it converted them to ATX50s. I don't recommend the conversion using factory parts as was a little on the spendy side. The same can be done with the XTX40. You can buy the wider exhaust for the XTX40 but I have no idea of the price. A slight correction, the venturi is the "same" on both the 50 and the 40, in fact all XTX models it's the cracking adjustment that's missing on the 40 and the 20. I'm sure you know this but others may not. Cheers.

A slight correction, the venturi is the "same" on both the 50 and the 40, in fact all XTX models it's the cracking adjustment that's missing on the 40 and the 20. I'm sure you know this but others may not. Cheers.

You're quite right. Sorry for the mis-information. Brain fart.

A cold-water reg in perfectly good shape and properly adjusted might freeflow on you because (1) it got some moisture in it, (2) it never got some moisture OUT of it since the last rinse, or (3) because it got too darn cold. The warnings about not test breathing until you are underwater are about reason 1. Reason 2 has taught me to be darn sure I take my "dried" reg and gently shake to get out possible remaining water (at least 1 in 10x there is a drop or 2), before allowing to dry at least a couple hours more. Reason 3 can get you a freeflow if you set your gear out in the cold too long before diving, leave it in the car all night, or cause a high rate of flow (has a cooling effect) by doing something silly like filling a SMB (worse yet, shopping bag, lift bag or other large item) using your octo reg instead of exhaust air. Use an appropriate reg (meaning model, condition, settings all correct) and watch out for these 3 causes and you shouldn't have trouble.

"Shouldn't" meaning that on a rare occasion it might flow just because your stars are aligned unfavorably. But at least you did what you could.

Sorry, didn't notice you were using an A700 primary, that would be an expensive Octo.

But a cool one....

He could pick up a Scubapro 109 or 156 and have all that metal goodness for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom