Apeks XTX 200 Tungsten and XTX 40 Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozkurum

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I am a PADI Dive Master entry level diver and I have been given APEKS XTX 200 Tungsten with XTX 40 as a gift.
I am well aware of the quality of this product. However, I am a bit concerned whether the product might have been “over-qualified” for my needs. I will mostly be doing mainstream 30-40 m dives at 15-25 degree celcius water and I am aiming to start high altitude and ice dives in 2012 as well as TecRec Course in a few years time. I am having some (not many) feedbacks that this regulator is way too good unless I am doing 100 m + dives on a regular basis. In addition, I have been told that it is a very sensitive product, which has to be kept at a hard-case cover at all times and any damage can cause never ending free flows, and that heat exchanger involves some liquid material, which is another hassle too.
I know that there has been too many negative and perhaps prejudgmental stuff up here but I would really be glad if you can address all these things. Should I treat this regulator like a vase made of glass?
I am quite new in here so any comments are appreciated.. especially from those who are using the same regulator.
Thanks a lot!!

Ozgur

Last edited:
Ozkurum:
. . . so any comments are appreciated.. especially from those who are using the same regulator.
Caveat at the beginning: I am familiar with this regulator, but I do not use one myself, so I cannot offer the first-hand, personal experience.
Ozkurum:
I am a bit concerned whether the product might have been “over-qualified” for my needs. I will mostly be doing mainstream 30-40 m dives at 15-25 degree celcius water and I am aiming to start high altitude and ice dives in 2012 as well as TecRec Course in a few years time. I am having some (not many) feedbacks that this regulator is way too good unless I am doing 100 m + dives on a regular basis.
I would not agree that this regulator is 'over-qualified' or 'way too good'. It is a high performance regulator, which will work very well at depth. It breaths VERY well. Will the average diver notice a big difference between the XTX200 and a Zeagle 50D, as one alternate example, at 30m? Probably not. Personally, I think my 200s breath a little better at 60m than my Zeagles, but that could easily be a subjective sense, not reality. Apeks regulators, in general, perform well, and represent a solid brand line. If you were considering a new purchase, most posters would probably say the XTX200, and therefore certainly the XTX200 Tungsten, it is more expensive than what you really need for the diving you describe. But, you also indicate the reg was given to you. Unless, you are thinking of trying to sell it, use the proceeds to purchase a less expensive regulator, and have money left over, I would use it. There is nothing wrong with diving a high performance regulator in recreational diving conditions.
Ozkurum:
In addition, I have been told that it is a very sensitive product, which has to be kept at a hard-case cover at all times and any damage can cause never ending free flows, and that heat exchanger involves some liquid material, which is another hassle too.
I am not aware, from the limted number of divers I dive with who have one, that it is unusually sensitive. In fact, the Tungsten is marketed as being very durable. I have several ATX200s, and an ATX100, all of which which I love. I have used XTX200s on a number of ocassions and love that unit as well. Any good regulator has to be properly cared for, properly tuned, etc. Any good regulator, if tuned at the very edge of a free-flow condition, can concevably free flow, particularly in colder water. But, if properly tuned, and properly treated, it should be a great regulator. l would not purchase the XTX200 Tungsten new, simply because I don't see the added value associated with the supposedly more durable finish. But, I would absolutely use it if given to me. I might purchase an XTX200, which is about 12-15% cheaper, and offers the same performance.

I bought mine (I have 2 XTX200's) for the intention of using for tech dives; which indeed I do. However if you could download the average depth of use from mine, you would find that they normally sit in about 1.2 m of water :(

They are a great reg, but they are also solid. Your use will not affect them diversely.

Hi,
I've the xtx200 (not tungsten) and the xtx40. I've been using it for everyday dive on my single tank and the xtx40 on my ean50 stage.
The xtx200 is excellent and breath very well constantly whatever the depth or remaining pressure in the tank.
As for the xtx40 when I switch on it during deco I can feel the difference (might need some tuning). If I compare it to the Hollis o2, the Hollis breath a lot easier. Never the less the xtx40 is an excellent regulator.

If you need more specific answer feel free to ask

Colliam7.. the wart... I couldn't thank you more guys. I was having quite stressful time with my concern. Great replies!

cheers!

Valéry;6202216:
I've been using it for everyday dive on my single tank and the xtx40 on my ean50 stage.

If you need more specific answer feel free to ask

speaking of EAN up to 40... do you have to do any special maintenance when you switch air to/from nitrox?

No you're fine.

Most regs are fine out of the box for nitrox 40

I've had 80% through a brand new TX40 before now. But people frown on that :wink:

No liquid used to environmentally seal, just a 2nd diaphragm that you see at the cap of the 1st stage.
All Apeks regs are highly durable and can handle extended service intervals with no problem.
Treat it like a rental Sherwood Brut, it'll do fine.

Hi Ozgur,
You have been very lucky to be given such a nice piece of equipment. You can forget about the notion of "up-grade" for a very very long time. Someone is feeding you with lots of crap perhaps he/she wants to off load it from you cheaply!!!!!
Look after it and you should still be using it in 15 yrs time and even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom