Apeks Warantee- HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
hold up, too much math here. where does the $699 come from. As I recall we are talking about a T20 here. Which is quoted on leisurepro at.... http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...mIndex=64&CategoryID=1159&Context=954&Filter=

But, you are also incorrectly using an LP price for comparison, unless LP is your local LDS. folks using them do not get the normal Apeks warranty, so far as I know, and need to factor in shipping costs both directions.

So, you(rescuediver) also need to come up with a better price for comparison, to compare apples to apples..

Sorry, I kept looking at your profile photo and did the math on a single DS4.

scubasean:
But, you are also incorrectly using an LP price for comparison, unless LP is your local LDS. folks using them do not get the normal Apeks warranty, so far as I know, and need to factor in shipping costs both directions.

So, you(rescuediver) also need to come up with a better price for comparison, to compare apples to apples..

alright then you (scubasean) I was generalizing for the sake of simplicity but if you would like concrete prices I will have something firmer to go on. I will use my pricing that applies here then....

ATX50 with DST or DS4 (your choice) $500
Annual Service (labour only) $65
Apeks first stage kit retail value $40
Apeks Second stage kit x2 $35
So seeing as how you are paying $500 for a new regulator from an authorized dealer thatwill be able to completely cover the parts you are looking at 40 + 35 + 35 per year to maintain the thing. No labour because you would be paying that anyhow. Hmmm... that adds up to $110. $500 divided by $110 per year = hmmmm... 4.54 years. That mean you are buyig a new reg every four and a half years.
Tastes like apples to me!
Thanks for helping me make sure I know what I am talking about.

Hold on.........what about the interest you acquire on the money you saved in buying the reg from an online dealer???

rescuediver009:
alright then you (scubasean) I was generalizing for the sake of simplicity but if you would like concrete prices I will have something firmer to go on. I will use my pricing that applies here then....

ATX50 with DST or DS4 (your choice) $500
Annual Service (labour only) $65
Apeks first stage kit retail value $40
Apeks Second stage kit x2 $35
So seeing as how you are paying $500 for a new regulator from an authorized dealer thatwill be able to completely cover the parts you are looking at 40 + 35 + 35 per year to maintain the thing. No labour because you would be paying that anyhow. Hmmm... that adds up to $110. $500 divided by $110 per year = hmmmm... 4.54 years. That mean you are buyig a new reg every four and a half years.
Tastes like apples to me!
Thanks for helping me make sure I know what I am talking about.

If you paid $500 for an ATX50 and DS4, you paid $200 too much already...heh

Maybe I misunderstand and we are on the same page...I don't buy a reg to get "free" warranty...I buy to get a good reg, and service it myself...I thought you were arguing that you want the shop to do the service...

I paid $314US for the reg (TX40/DS4) and can't recall what I paid for the first and second stage kits...(I can look it up if it is really important...)

I can't see paying $500CDN or more (your price, if I understand you correctly) and then doing what the originator did (getting it serviced by a nonwarranty shop, thereby voiding the warranty, in his words).

That is all I'm saying...

I pay the online price, and do the work myself, since I think the warranty is of little value, due to it only covering the parts...The labor still costs, as does the trip(s) to the shop, the down time, etc. as well as possibly getting an unknown reg back due to me maybe not knowing the competence of the guy working on it.

I am definitely not the best reg tech in town...far from it, but at least I know my limitations...

Peace...

ShakaZulu:
Hold on.........what about the interest you acquire on the money you saved in buying the reg from an online dealer???

Today at the bank, savings account pays 0.30%, INGDirect pays 2.20%. With a 2yr CD you might get a little under 3%. You won't be getting rich with those rates.

scubasean:
If you paid $500 for an ATX50 and DS4, you paid $200 too much already...heh
Dude, they are canadian funds, and after conversion it is still only 375 US. By the time you would tack on duty and or tax and shipping you would easily be over that number of what you paid.

scubasean:
Maybe I misunderstand and we are on the same page...I don't buy a reg to get "free" warranty...I buy to get a good reg, and service it myself...I thought you were arguing that you want the shop to do the service...
I can't really figure what youare talking about irragardless of we are on the same page. I am not even talking about myself. I am simply trying to show how it may be an easier option to pick up a erg with a warranty. I am not telling people the reasons why and why not to buy a certain reg.

I paid $314US for the reg (TX40/DS4) and can't recall what I paid for the first and second stage kits...(I can look it up if it is really important...)
After you add on the cost of the kits for say 5 years don't forget to add on the time it takes to refresh your memory on how to do it, get everything set up, rip it al apart, and guess throw it back together in what sems to be the right order, and then realize you don't have the proper equipment to set it up.

scubasean:
I can't see paying $500CDN or more (your price, if I understand you correctly) and then doing what the originator did (getting it serviced by a nonwarranty shop, thereby voiding the warranty, in his words).

That is all I'm saying...
the originator was not canadian and I was simply using literal figures as some do not understand a general figure of speech. find me a better price in canadian dollars of a local shop that you can drive 10 minutes or less and have it serviced for half of what it would cost you without the parts warranty and the self-hesitation of doing it yourself.
scubasean:
I pay the online price, and do the work myself, since I think the warranty is of little value, due to it only covering the parts...The labor still costs, as does the trip(s) to the shop, the down time, etc. as well as possibly getting an unknown reg back due to me maybe not knowing the competence of the guy working on it.
Unless you have had a bad experience with this particular individual, what leads you to suspect his competence. If he does it even once a month that is still way more than you do yours. as far as down time, what is wrong with having it serviced in the off season.

scubasean:
I am definitely not the best reg tech in town...far from it, but at least I know my limitations...
that is why most people have the service done for them. because the service tech is the best reg tech in town. That's me, heh!

Parts only every other Year...?

Hold on, I though the warrantee required a check every year, but on "odd" years, teh service only entailed a check and tweak of IP. Then on "even" years, the parts would be replaced.

If this is true, the free parts clause is only 1/2 as attractive as thought...

I believe that Apeks quotes it directly somewhere on their site as all stages one year and then the second stages on the odd year "if necessary" I wuoldn't worry. They are theonly company that does it and there is no universal system to tell if the reg has just been overhauled or just looked at, so alot of places just do the whole thing every year. Also I have never opened an Apeks first stage that had looked crummy of corroded. The dry sealed system works excellently.
See I can be civil too :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom