Apeks vs SiTech exhaust valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a used DUI CF200 suit and I'm about to send it to DUI for new boots and seals. I was also condidering replacing the existing Apeks high profile exhaust valve with a Sitech valve based on what I've read here about the Sitech's venting easier and being less prone to leaking. One of the guys in the LDS mentioned that sometimes DUI replaces the exhaust valves with new Apeks low-profile valves free of charge as a "goodwill gesture". I don't want to be so presumptious as to assume I'll get a new free low-profile valve, so speaking purely hypothetically- if you could get a new Apeks low profile valve for free, would you still pay the $110 to get a Sitech? If there's no free valve in the picture, would you pay $110 to replace a 9 year old high profile Apeks with a Sitech?

Secondly, can anyone validate whether DUI does usually perform this replacement for free?

Thanks,
John

I have the same question here regarding replacing Apeks with Sitech on a CF200x. Noticed there has been no response since it was posted in May; maybe someone can give some input on this.

LG Diver:
hypothetically- if you could get a new Apeks low profile valve for free, would you still pay the $110 to get a Sitech?

yes, i would buy a sitech (although i think they can be found for cheaper, IIRC). i switched to si-tech from low profile apeks and haven't looked back...

If there's no free valve in the picture, would you pay $110 to replace a 9 year old high profile Apeks with a Sitech?

definitely.

lamont:
yes, i would buy a sitech (although i think they can be found for cheaper, IIRC). i switched to si-tech from low profile apeks and haven't looked back...

definitely.

My understanding was that it was the low-profile APEKS that leak like seive, and to be avoided.

High-profile APEKS supposedly (depends on who you listen to) dump as fast or faster than Si-tech.

If I am buying a new suit, I would insist on the si-tech (which i did when I got my current suit). I would not pay $110 to change if your current valve works and does not leak. These things can be finnicky and if it works it's probably best to leave it alone.

Hey guys, what is the difference between the Si-tech and the Apex exhaust that make you like it so much better than the Apex?

limeyx:
My understanding was that it was the low-profile APEKS that leak like seive, and to be avoided.

High-profile APEKS supposedly (depends on who you listen to) dump as fast or faster than Si-tech.

I tried a high-profile apeks and wasn't impressed,. but it was better than my low-profile apeks...

I also tend to doubt that after 9 years it dumps like it was new. I tend to find that even after a vinegar soak and cleaning that my dump valve performance degrades and they seem to want to be replaced after a year or two... YMMV...

Jasonmh:
Hey guys, what is the difference between the Si-tech and the Apex exhaust that make you like it so much better than the Apex?

ease of dumping.

the low-profile apeks also needed to be ratcheted down a few notches in order to prevent it from leaking in when you got some suit squeeze on descent, which often meant a wet arm... supposedly they fixed this issue, but they lost me as a customer... the si-tech ones just work...

lamont:
ease of dumping.

the low-profile apeks also needed to be ratcheted down a few notches in order to prevent it from leaking in when you got some suit squeeze on descent, which often meant a wet arm... supposedly they fixed this issue, but they lost me as a customer... the si-tech ones just work...

What I head too. DUI tried and tried to get me to use the APEKS low profile but I had already been warned against their tactics. It took about 10 mins of "persuading" them I really wanted the si-tech (this was after 15 minutes convincing them I *really* didn't want the rock boots)

And agreed with lamont, if the 9-year old APEKS is not working well then spring for the sitech, but if it aint broke ...

lamont:
yes, i would buy a sitech (although i think they can be found for cheaper, IIRC). i switched to si-tech from low profile apeks and haven't looked back.
Yeah, I'm with lamont on this one. I bought a new one on ebay for $35 and replaced it myself. You could PM Bob3 on this board ask what he is selling them for.

Back
Top Bottom