APEKS US4 vs DS4 for deco / stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanSEA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I am looking at two APEKS 1st stages for my 100% cylinder and would appreciate some feedback:
- DS4 (environmentally sealed), somewhat compact
- US4 (not sealed), lighter / a bit more compact than the DS4

^^ Use only in warm water!

Since since / weight is a bit of concern (I travel hand carry only and bringing 4 1st stages does not help), I wonder if there is any reason to NOT take the lighter US4. Please no discussion why APEKS - my other regs are all APEKS and I want to stick with them.

Thank you for your feedback.

as long as you are diligent about rinsing the inside of the cap, there is no reason not to use the us4. it's an identical regulator other than the enviro seal

I've used the US4's for years. As tbone said, just be sure to rinse. I use a 20 cc syringe to flush them out.
Later,
John

I think the weight difference is negligible along with them being just as compact. I like the sealed DS4. And I travel with 2 DST's for back gas and 3 DS4's for deco, internationally.

And having just rebuilt all of my Apex's after over 2 years, they were spotless inside.

I travel with 2 DST's for back gas and 3 DS4's for deco, internationally.

.. and trust you reached business class hand-carry allowance with this alone ;-)
Jokes beside - thanks for the feedback. Price is not a concern but rather dimension / weight. Although I am really fuzzy about washing my gear, I also wonder if I shall mix too much (same as you, I have 2 DST, one DS4) already.

I like those little US4 stages. All you need for tropical tech.

Can get generic copies in Asia... A fraction of the price, seemingly quite good... and use regular Apeks service kits.

.. and trust you reached business class hand-carry allowance with this alone ;-)

My dry suit and regulators go in a big Pelican case and I check it. Carry on my light heads, drives TSA crazy!

Replaced the US4 with DST many yrs ago. The turret makes the routing of the hose slightly better, less stress on my lower gum.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom