Apeks or Aqua-Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Legend and have also used the Apeks 50/200 for diving doubles over the past month or two.

My feel is that the Legend if probably a better breather by a little as has been mentioned. I can really notice it on air share drills with Apeks folks.

However, the Apeks second stage has much more adjustability and I have also noticed that most folks I dive with have their cracking pressure adjustment (the silver knob) dialed way down. When I open it all the way up, it approaches the breathing ease of my Legend. Now if this need to dial it all the way open would increase the possibility of free flow, I do not know.

When diving with Apeks, I keep the second stage on my neck bungee dialed all the way "in" thinking that it would be least likely to free flow in this position, though I have been told free flow is more a funciton of the venturi setting (dive, pre-dive).

spidershim123:
They don't sell Apeks.

http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=79
This is about the cheapest place I have seen sell Apeks stuff over the internet (Apeks online sales=Unauthorized sales=no warrantee). The are out of Gemany and have excellent service. Prices are in Euros, but they ship anywhere. I think an ATX 50 and DS4 runs just under 300 bucks (284 if I remember right).

Another place with pretty good prices and good service as well is DiveInn (scubastore).
http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=11&id_subfamilia=38
An ATX50 wiht DST first stage is 327.

If I were the original poster, I'd consider going with the 50 instead of the 200. The second stages are identical, and for the last month I have been diving both of these regs to recreational limits with no discernable breathing difference in my case. The price difference is over 100 bucks from these sites. Not much if you are buying a single unit, but adds up if you are outfitting yourself for doubes and deco diving...

Legend LX!!! I have one, about 50 dives. I love it. In my area, legend LX is cheaper than ATX 200. My friend even had $100 rebate. I am not sure if they still have the rebate.

Some ppl say legend LX is easier to breath in shallow, I agree. ATX200 is better for deep diving, I am not sure. 130ft, ATX200, Lengend LX, ATX100, Flathead VI all same to me, I felt no difference. My $0.02.

Back
Top Bottom