Apeks ATX40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello there

I have an apeks atx40 reg.

I had it serviced recently followed by a shallow dive, where it freeflowed like a mad freeflowing thing. I took it back and they said that they couldnt get it to freeflow at all but gave it a tweak. I did a 2nd shallow dive and although the freeflowing had stopped it now has tiny bubbles coming out of the adjuster screw on the opposite side to the hose. I took it back and again they tweaked it, I did a third shallow dive and it still has the tiny bubbles coming out. I dont want to take it back to them, I can take it to another shop to have serviced but dont want to pay unless I have to.
Any ideas?
What happens if I unscrew or tighten the allen screw. Is there an o ring inside.Is my reg knackered?

Any help much appreciated..

Al

Take it to another shop. Obviously the shop in question is incompetent.

There is an O-ring sealing that allen screw. Could be leaking for any number of reasons.. get it checked out. But not by the guys who have messed it up twice.

I wouldn't say that they are incompitent, but I think that I would try somewhere else and be sure that you are clear on the problem. I know what it is like to have someone who is unfamiliar with trouble shooting trying to explain a problem to me. Just tell them your bubble problem and they should be able to submerge it and see the same.

As for playing with the allen key, I wouldn't. It changes the breathing resistance of the reg and will not help the leak.

Al mate... i'd try wrapping a bit of hairy string around the thread if that doesn't work i've got an old tube of bath sealant you can borrow!

Otherwise just get it serviced you tight wad!.. don't want to be diving with you at 30m trying to sneak into an evil lair of some ruthless rich industrialist who's trying to take over the world .. and you regs go tits up!

Hi,

had the exact same problem on my secondary post Apeks DST +ATX40 combo. Got it serviced and it would just freewflow as soon as put under pressure. Turned out the lever in the second stage was set so high that as soon as there was some pressure around it forced the purge button to slightly press onto it resulting in free flows. I took it back to the shop 2 times and every time it worked there, saw it with my own eyes, but in real life conditions it would free flow.

After some troubleshooting I adjusted the trim screw that regulates the air flow, the one right by the hose connector on the second stage and just reduced the air flow a tiny tiny bit. This solved the problem and my reg now breathes with ease and doesn't free flow or leak anymore.

However, don't do this unless you are absolutely sure on what you are doing. Just moving the screw a mm. makes a differences in breathing resistance. I would go back to the shop, talk with them about it and try increasing the resistance a bit. If this works great, if not have them go through the reg again. Also ask them to show you how to adjust the trim yourself. This is a fairly simple procedure and can help save a dive. Everyone should know some basic regulator maintenance in particular of the second stage, how to open it, remove debris stuck and remove/exchange the most common o-rings. It's really not complicated but have them show this to you first, do not attempt to do anything you are unsure about.

And for the first stage do not try to open it/service it etc. yourself unless properly trained to do this.

Good luck with your reg!

/C

Back
Top Bottom