Apeks ATX200 VS. Mares Titanium Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darksidetone

Registered
Reaction score
O.K. so I currently have a Mares Titanium Abyss regulator that I have been using for 2 years and NEVER have had a problem with it. BUt through good fortune I basically got a brand new Apeks ATX200 regulator for free. Now, the Apeks is DIN, and I NEVER dive DIN, but I could easily get an adapter for YOKE. So my quandry is do I keep the Apeks and use the Abyss as a back-up in case I ever need it, or do I keep using the Abyss that has NEVER given me ANY sort of problem. If I keep the Abyss, then I would try and sell the Apeks. SO I am just wondering what would YOU do? Thanks for any/all of your wisdom.

darksidetone:
SO I am just wondering what would YOU do? Thanks for any/all of your wisdom.

I don't know if I have wisdom but I have a motto I occasionally follow:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

However, there are some people out there eating crappy donuts that have NEVER tasted a Krispy Kreme donut.

So my advice would change to: "Try out the Apeks and see if there is something good about it that you've been missing in the Abyss."

you are not going to get any more for the apeks now, than you would if you put one or two dives on it, so I would give it a try and see if it is any better in your opinion. Unfortunately i don't think that you will get a straight answer for the which is better question here. Anyone who has an Abyss will love it, and Apeks lovers like their regs too. Both are top of the line regs. If you ask me, if there is no other weighing factor to choose which reg, look at where you dive. The Apeks environmental seal does its job very well against salt and corrosion as well as cold water. The Mares have always been open on the bottom.
Also if you need a new piece of gear, go ahead and trade one in, if not, why not hang on to them both until a good buyer in confronted?

Why don't you dive Din :06:

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't currently dive DIN because nobody in my dive group does and I don't know anyone to school me on the postivites and negatives of it. I would definitely be up for some advice about it though! Thanks

darksidetone:
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't currently dive DIN because nobody in my dive group does and I don't know anyone to school me on the postivites and negatives of it. I would definitely be up for some advice about it though! Thanks

Search for posts titled DIN vs yoke or something like that. It will give you some info. Basically even if the adapter costs you $50 you spent $50 on a $400 first and second stage...

If you decide to keep the Apeks, don't get a din-yoke adapter. You can have the first stage retrofitted by replacing the DIN adapter part with the Yoke adapter part.. shouldn't be much cash at all.

Personally, I'd decide which I could probably sell for more cash and keep the other one :wink:

darksidetone:

Has your tank got a din covertable piller valve :11:

In other words, can you remove the centre section where the o-ring sits in the valve on the tank?

If you can, Bingo. Din is a far superior fitting,
1. captured o-ring, less chance of catastophic faliure
2. higher working pressure
3. smaller, less chance of intangelment.

Its not the regs you want to change, its the tank valve :wink:

my personal choice is dive DIN and yes other than some tech friends most of my recreational diver friends are yoke. my choice is try the new regulator out first as most will tell you most of us who has the APEKS love them!!!
second you can have the din stage coverted back to yoke if you want too really easy and not expensive. just my 2 cents.

jonnythan:
Personally, I'd decide which I could probably sell for more cash and keep the other one :wink:
The titanium will definetely sell for more, but it is just a question of how many people will pay that much for a reg...

Here is a new solution. Buy an H-valve for your tank and use em both....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom