Apeks ATX200 or Aqualung Legend LX ACD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Aqualung owns Apeks, however, not all Aqualung dealers are Apeks dealers. (though many are).
QUOTE]

I keep reading that Apeks is owned by Aqualung. Is this true or is Aqualung their North American distributor. I know that Aqualung is Suunto’s US distributor, but Suunto is actually owned by Amer Sports. (Amer Sports owns Wilson, Atomic [the skis], Suunto, Precor, Salomon and Mavic.) I believe that Apeks is a British company. Here is the company website: http://www.apeks.co.uk/

thepurplehammerhead:
Jon Bennett took the Apeks TX100 to 308m. In the Philippines, it's true, but at that depth it makes no odds temperature-wise.

The TX100 was the precursor to the ATX100, in turn the predecessor to the ATX200. It's a sterling reg.

The TX100 and ATX100 (both are second stage designations) are sold with exactly the same first stage (FST). Interestingly, John Bennett had FSRs (ATX200 first stages) available to him but chose not to use them for the 308m dive. Bennett and the current record holder (330m) Pascal Bernabé chose Apeks FSTs for their deep dives.

The ATX100 is not "the predecessor to the ATX200" - they are both identical second stages with slight cosmetic differences.

Vie:
The TX100 and ATX100 (both are second stage designations) are sold with exactly the same first stage (FST). Interestingly, John Bennett had FSRs (ATX200 first stages) available to him but chose not to use them for the 308m dive. Bennett and the current record holder (330m) Pascal Bernabé chose Apeks FSTs for their deep dives.

The ATX100 is not "the predecessor to the ATX200" - they are both identical second stages with slight cosmetic differences.

wasn't there something about the valve seat on the ATX200, not the ATX100? The second stage you're right about.

thepurplehammerhead:
wasn't there something about the valve seat on the ATX200, not the ATX100? The second stage you're right about.

The FSR and XTX FSR first stage have the removable/replaceable ARCAP valve seat feature which the rest of the Apeks range do not.

I work on both....both are just fine....the idea situation would be to have the Legend first stage with the Apeks seconds .....IMHO the Legend first are a small refinement over the Apeks first, of which the Legend is really a clone while not looking like the Apeks at all inside....the Apeks seconds are better due to use of more metal parts vs plastic.......however due to Aqualung's restrictive dealer policy I would urge you to look at Zeagle as they are Apeks clones to some extent.
Yarg

SoggyShoes:
mike_s:
Aqualung owns Apeks, however, not all Aqualung dealers are Apeks dealers. (though many are).

I keep reading that Apeks is owned by Aqualung. Is this true or is Aqualung their North American distributor. I know that Aqualung is Suunto’s US distributor, but Suunto is actually owned by Amer Sports. (Amer Sports owns Wilson, Atomic [the skis], Suunto, Precor, Salomon and Mavic.) I believe that Apeks is a British company. Here is the company website: http://www.apeks.co.uk/

Aqualung owns Apeks. They bought them in 1997. It was one of those things where the liked the products so much, 'they bought the company'. Apeks is a wholy owned subsidiary of Aqualung. Therefore Aqualung also distrubutes the British made Apeks in the US. However, Apeks already had distrubutor relationships in place in other countries and I guess they chose not to change those. So in some countries you see Apeks operate independently.

In the end, Air Liquide owns Aqualung (and it's subsidiary Apeks).
Aqualung is also the US distributor for Suunto as you stated.

tstonedvr:
.......however due to Aqualung's restrictive dealer policy I would urge you to look at Zeagle as they are Apeks clones to some extent.
Yarg

tstonedvr makes a good point here. Many people are frustrated with the way that Aqualung treats their dealers and are tired of Aqualungs 'corporate politics'.

Many of us, me included, won't be spending any more of our money on Aqualung and will choose other brands, such as Zeagle, Dive Rite, or Oceanic because of this. There is a 'huge thread' on this called 'Aqualung Discussion thread' if you are interested in the details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom