Apeks ATX100 Vs. ATX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZAquaman

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what the difference between these two regulators is? My LDS dosn't have a clue. He says that the ATX200 is "a little nicer". I've been unable to find any specific information online except for price difference ($423 for ATX200 $366 for ATX100)

Thanks!

The FSR (ATX200) first stage has a removable ARCAP valve seat and angled HP ports. The FST (TX100/ATX100/old Zeagle Flat Head) first stage has angled LP ports. Internally Apeks first stages are pretty much the same. When used with doubles, the FSR’s diaphragm cap will face each other; the FST’s diaphragm cap will face “outwards.”

The ATX50/100/200 second stages are the same apart from some cosmetic differences (cover and purge button).

He is right in that the cone is removablein the 200. The design also differs in that it places the seat and airflow more in line from the tank valve, where the 100 places it just below. The arguement is that the less turns the air has to take before getting to you that the less resistance it has.
As far as pricing, it is usually the other way around in that the 100 is a little more expensive than the 200. If there is that much of a price difference at you LDS, I would go 100. You wouldn't know the difference.

Thanks guys,

And for the octo? I've heard that the 2nd stages are the same as the ATX50? Is that true? I'll be ice diving so freeze up is a concern.... I want to have the right regs and my LDS seems less than sharp on this stuff.

I hate to throw another cat in the bag but I'm also looking at the Mares Abyss. It seems like a simpler regulator. At least the 2nd stage does. No flow dial BS. The price point is virtually the same.

Would it be safe to say that the Mares requires less maintenance?

ZAquaman:
Would it be safe to say that the Mares requires less maintenance?
No, actually because the whole spring and the retaining nut threads are exposed, it would actually require more maintenance. The Apeks stays dry and clean all the time.

As for hte dials, its not like driving a manual transmission. The dial is rarely adjusted except in adverse conditions. Also most Abyss owners I know (the ones that keep their regs properly tuned) find that their reg trickles often and needs a smack to stop...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom