Apeks and zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT Texas

Reaction score
What is the story on Zeagle and Apeks regs? I have heard that they are the same but some people say that zeagle improved on Apeks desighn after they split and some say the opposite. Also what is the difference between the ZX series and the Tech Severe?

apex and zeagle are the same product except the badge on the product. They are the same company, but have different names for some taxation purpose or something. TX-100 is a fantastic regulaoit as are ALL apex/zeagle models. Tech severe is for cold water diving under 10 degrees celcius. Check out their web site

Originally posted by iainwilliams
They are the same company, but have different names for some taxation purpose or something. TX-100 is a fantastic regulaoit as are ALL apex/zeagle models. Tech severe is for cold water diving under 10 degrees celcius. Check out their web site

No. This is not correct. They are, and have always been, separate companies. Up until about 2 years ago Zeagle made BC's for Apeks and Apeks made regs for Zeagle. The Tech 50 D and TX50 were the same reg.

Then Aqualung bought Apeks and this has changed. Zeagle regs are no longer made by Apeks and Zeagle claims to have improved on the flathead (TX100). I don't know if this claim is accurate. I also don't know who makes BC's for Apeks now but the photo of the NX2000 on the Apeks website still appears to be a Zeagle harness.

Oh I see -sorry for the miss-information. But the regulators are still the same (zeagle verses apex). I would not think there is a problem with either a zeagle or apex regulator - as both are identical technically - only the badges is different. This is what I have been told. Yes, Aqualung now have the the apex regs so a re-badge will probably occur yet again confusing us mear mortals! Take care:)

I have heard that Zeagle somehow was able to retain rights to the Apeks design and someone else is now manufacturing them. I have also heard that Zeagle has improved the HP seat.

Any real information would be appreciated.

Roak

I read couple of posts I believe from this board awhile back where there were claims that IDI is actually mfg. Zeagle and Atomic regs. Not sure if this is true but if you look at a new Zeagle ZX second stage and an Atomic B1 second stage there are a lot of similarities.

This seems to be the story...

Apeks is a UK based regulator and valve manufacturer. They made and supplied regulators to both Zeagle and Beauchat.

Zeagle is a harness manufacturer that specialized in skydiving equipment, and dabbled in BCD's long ago. They manufactured the AT PAC for a short period. Zeagle then decided to make BCD's and brought their skydiving harness design to scuba.

After finding a ready market for their BCD's, they went hunting for a regulator line...and they found that Apeks was being marketed only in Europe. They bought Apeks regs, and badged them Zeagle.

Apeks, expanding in their market, arranged to have distribution rights for the Zeagle BCD's in the UK. They badged them Apeks. BUT...only the NX2000 was made by Zeagle. The SB2000 is/was made by a UK manufacturer.

So Zeagle and Apeks were in bed together. Then Aqualung came along, and bought a controlling interest in Apeks. But the agreements between Apeks and Zeagle were legally binding. Apeks continues to make all but the Flathead 6 first stage for Zeagle. Zeagle is manufacturing BCD's for Apeks until March of 2003 (so I am told) After that, the company which has been producing the Apeks SB2000 will make the full line. The NX2000 (equivalent to a Zeagle Tech) is no longer available, despite the website. It is now the NX3000 and is the same but with a 65# bladder and a better crotch strap.

Zeagle has an agreement with AquaLung, and will continue to use 2nd stages made by Apeks. I have not been able to determine who makes the Flathead first stage for Zeagle.

This is the story that I was told by an ex-rep of one of the companies involved.

C

I was told by Zeagle that the new Zeagle regs, while following almost part-for-part the general layout of the Apeks regs, are entirely new designs, with no interchange of parts, and are made in the USA.
They also say that, when they designed the new line, they took advantage of the clean sheet to fix a few things that they'd found to be troublesome when they were servicing Apeks here, and to tweak the performance slightly. Most significant of the changes is to the HP seat which reverses the Apeks order by having a soft orifice which is replaced at overhaul and a hard piston.

BTW, there are two easy ways to tell the new Zeagle/Zeagles from the old Apeks/Zeagles. The new ones have serial numbers starting with a letter and a soft purge cover and the old ones serial numbers starting with a number and a hard cover with a separate purge button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom