Apeks 1st stage - 1/2'' vs 3/8'' LP port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased a 5ft long hose for my ATX200. When I tried to hook it up to the 1st stage, I noticed that the hose I ordered was 3/8'' but the existing hose was 1/2''. I don't want to use an adaptor. I assume I am not going to die if I hook the new hose into the 3/8'' port? I assume 1/2'' port will deliver more air to my secondary, but will it really make a difference? I plan on using the 1/2 hose for my backup (octo) and the new long hose (primary) will be using the 3/8 port.

Thanks for your help

For the FSR (ATX200 first stage), the correct single tank hose routing should be the long hose on the 3/8" port and the backup on the 1/2" port - you've done it the right way (this way, the hoses don't cross). In fact, Apeks is discontinuing the 1/2" port and will be bringing out "new" versions of the DST, FST and FSR first stages with 4x 3/8" ports to accompany the new XTX series of second stages.

I currently have a DST (stupid swivel turret, grumble, grumble) with a 5' longhose on the 3/8" port and a 22" bungeed backup on the 1/2" port. As you've discovered that 1/2" hose is kinda weird, its the normal size where it connects to the second stage but larger on the first stage than "normal". To get good hose routing, you can either go with the bungeed backup on the 1/2" port (and carry a backup hose, I use techdvinglimited.com but other places carry them), get a 1/2" to 3/8" converter and use all 3/8" hoses, or get a plug for the 1/2" port and turn the first stage around. You are definitely on the right track.

And, no, the 1/2" port doesn't really make any difference, in fact the Apeks hoses for the 1/2" port are the same internal diameter as their hoses for the 3/8" port. Joel's (TDL) 1/2" reg hoses at least have a larger internal diameter...

Thanks guys. I love the reg, but was kind of thrown of by the whole 1/2'' port on the 1st stage. I have ordered a TX 50 for my backup and that will go on a bungee around my neck. I just have to figure out how to attach the reg to the bungee, but I have a feeling it could be as simple as just replacing the tie wrap for the month piece with a new one and just crimping the bungee with it.

Thanks for the help.

Use surgical tubing with small zip ties for the "around-the-neck" holder. We use this setup in the PI and it works great.

Personally I think I would've been happier with an ATX50 or ATX40 as a bungeed backup, because the wide exhaust is more in the way, vs. being useful on the primary.

As for the bungee itself, tie a fisherman's knot in a short-ish piece of bungee and sandwich the reg mouthpiece between the two overhand knots. It'll hold the reg in place, but if you do yank it out it won't take your mouthpiece with it. Esp. important if you are diving in cold water, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom