AOW tomorrow - Wish me luck!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisscuba once bubbled...
Hitting Mills Pond Run today,..Florida

Doing your AOW in two days,....must be PADI,..did you do your OW the week before?

You woudl not be nervious if you had some dive time under your belt and a real AOW course like SSI or SDI.

Good luck,..I hope that you do not become a PADI cadiver.

http://www.geocities.com/krisl_1999/bumper_sticker.html

Oh give me a break.

I guess if you're properly trained, you never get nervous about training dives. No one in Cave 1 is ever nervous about their dives!

I am SSI OW and SSI AOW, but I still got nervous about our 90 foot dive at dusk in the quarry. I have lots more dives now, and I'd *still* be a bit nervous about that dive.

Guess I'm a PADI cave diver in training and I'm just going to die soon.

Krisscuba once bubbled...
Hitting Mills Pond Run today,..Florida

Doing your AOW in two days,....must be PADI,..did you do your OW the week before?

You woudl not be nervious if you had some dive time under your belt and a real AOW course like SSI or SDI.

Good luck,..I hope that you do not become a PADI cadiver.

http://www.geocities.com/krisl_1999/bumper_sticker.html

Hey Kriss..
What's wrong with being nervous? Doctors get nervous before surgeries, marines get nervous before going into combat, and a guy gets nervous on a first date ...it's a natural human reaction...and it keeps you alert and aware. Trust me man, I'm sure you've peed in your pants a few times just like the rest of us! It's people like you that turn this board into a ....my dad is stronger than your dad...board. Good work encouraging someone to further their dive training and to stay active and wet. I'm sure SSI and NAUI would love to have you as a spokesman; with your positive attitude and all!!! Why don't you just S.A.D.! :eek:ut:

hi guys, just got back
ok first of all some answers to a few questions.
I am training with PADI, i took my open water class in easter but prior to that i was training with BSAC for the ocean diver qualification since september. I quit the BSAC route because it was taking forever to make any progress, especially since the club i was a member of is more interested in drinking, women and club politics than actually diving.
I'm training on the south coast of the UK.
I may agree that PADI is not the best route to take but i do not wish to go back into a club environment like my former BSAC club where it takes a year in the swimming pool to make ocean diver.

OK about today
Right somethings went well but i did have forces working against me:(
we did 3 dives each to 7 meters. the first was the advanced boyancy which was a little ropey but this was due to being over weighted. boyancy control improoved alot during the next dive and i think i have it about spot on now:)
Second dive was underwater navigation in which i did learn an important lesson. we were going to swim in a square and arrive back at where we started, unfortunatly i made the fatal mistake of trusting my compass a bit too much and missed the bouy by about 3 meters or so. the second try I made sure to use as many reference points as i could (by this time vis was down to 2 meters or so:( such as depth, rocks and lines and arrived at the bouy with no problems. my assent was a little to fast i feel during that dive though:(
Third dive was just a nice swim out to a few wrecks littered about the lake, sods law would have it that the pin fell out of my shadow mask meaning i had to borrow one from the dive shop, that was a horrible mask, it was leaking in water a fair old bit and i had to keep clearing my mask every couple of minuites. we swam around the wrecks had a good look then deployed our SMB's to assend. well i experienced a brand new feeling. the SMB deployed with no problems (and no i didnt shoot up with it:p) and i started my assent but i had a problem with my ears and the pressure-reverse block, went down as soon as i noticed i was feeling uncomfortable and it took several tryes to make it to the surface. I *think* i'm ok although there is a slight discomfort in my right ear:(
The water was so warm (for the UK)

Now its just the big one tomorrow:s Yes i am nervous but that, i think is perfectly natural. i shouldnt be able to breath underwater let alone do it at 35 meters, my body was not designed for it and i will be in an alien environment. I was nervous before my OW dives and nervous before i took my first breath underwater but i feel totally confortable with it now. I'm sure once i've done the dive i'll feel more confident about deeper dives. The only worry i do have is getting narced, i am currently on 150mg of effexor XL and have been given clearence by a diving doc to dive but he did say i may narc easier than other people will and i do not know what that feels like.
snyhoo write back tomorrow

I owuld not want a doc working on me that is nervious.

I was a Marine for 12 years,......not nervious,.arragent or however it's spelled.

You should be relaxed when doing your advanced dives. If your nervious,.perhaps you should do a little more diving prior.

In NY diving a quarry in a dry suit?....weather permitting I'll have the boat off shell Island here in Florida.

You were born in 81,..I have a son that was born in 81. I was first certified in 74. Whenever I had a student,..the student was not nervious after the first dive!!!!!!!!!!

A nervious diver is a dive accident waiting to happen. cadiver was a play on words for corpse.

Kriss,

I'm sure you served your country with honour. However, I find it hard to believe that you have never been nervous before going into combat or doing a tough dive. If what you say is true, you're one in a million! ....and trust me, as a medical professional, ALL doctors get nervous at one point or another. They key is recongizing the nervousness and using it as a tool to accomplish whatever goal you're attempting to reach.
Nervousely yours,
Divemed06:wacko:

congrats jut! keep up the great work! i'm with you 100% on this one. i just finished my basic in the last two weeks and have gotten a few free dives under my belt to log some bottom time and it made me more comfortable when doing my navigational and lift dives for my advanced. i think those who recommended logging some more bottom time experience is right - at least in regards to making you a bit more comfortable in the water.

as for being nervous - don't sweat it. i'd be more worried if you weren't nervous. an overly nervous or overly cautious diver (or anything for that matter) can be dangerous. rather than being afraid - its good to have a healthy respect for the bottom and everything that goes along with diving. like you said - its an alien environment, but isn't it great!? i'm a firefighter and i've faced death on more than one occasion and yet on my first few openwater dives (through training and free dives after basic cert.) i was still nervous. i'm sure it comes with practice - you'll do great! best of luck!

Krisscuba,

Lemme guess, in YOUR day,

1. You had to walk 20 miles barefoot through snow to get to school.

2. On your paper route, you dind't have newspapers, you had news stone tablets.

3. You owned the original "aqua-lung" and it was brand new.

4. You and Lloyd Bridges ditched gym class together and thought up "sea hunt".

5. You thought hogarthian methods were some new and radical approach to scuba.

6. When you were at Perris Island, you didn't have rifles, you had slings and rocks.

If you believe your students were never nervous, you were obviously lacking in perception. BTW, I was a marine, what's THAT got to do with anything? Your trying to validate yourself with that statement because? Hello? Am I missing something here?

Oh, and, we all know what a cadaver is. In your post, you said you were never arrogant.. Hmm, tell me, define arrogant? Your post wreaks of it.

Gee, Sgt. Slaughter, you sure get off on picking on this guy because he's a new diver and was nervous. I like how you slighted PADI and made mention earlier in the thread about him not being a student of a real dive agency like SSI or SDI.

Ahh, another agency basher.. now there's a big surprise.. No, I won't bash your agency, I'll just take it to you. After all, it's not your agency opening it's big mouth, it's you.

I get the feeling here you're a perfectionist. Hey, no problem with that! I've got a great place for you to start in perfecting.. Start with you. I suggest a deeper examination into your self evaluation before you begin to spout off about anyone else.

Here, JUT comes in, very excited about a class, has some questions, but more so, he just wants to share his experience, he's a new diver, so he's excited. He wants some diver comraderie and then you come along and use it to grandstand and shoot him full of holes because he's not you.

What a weenie...

And to think, YOU'RE an instructor?? Nice lesson...

I'll probably get a boot in the butt from a mod here, but hey, I spouted off, I'll have it deservedly so. But.. someone needed to...

JUT,

Glad your enjoying the class. A little nervousness is only natural. Hey, fear gets a bad rap. Fear is not panic, rather, fear is a healthy respect for limitations and percieved dangers.

Yes, fear can be taken to far, but, a good intructor will address your concerns, explain things clearer so you are left with a better understanding of the environment you will be diving, what to expect, what your instructor expects from you, etc. You'll still have apprehension, but that's STILL normal. In the end, you'll be better informed, confronted this apprehension, built experience, and be a better diver for it.

Don't let anyone kid you. When I did my advanced class, Yeah, I was nervous! We were diving Farnsworth banks. That's NOT a place to be cavilier about. I still have a healthy respect for deep dives and blue water dives. Believe me. Anyone who doesn't feel a little apprehensive in such a challenge and environment, I don't want with me. Your head is in the right place. Keep thinking how you are, and discover some cool things along the way, you are going to have lots of fun in your class and feel pretty proud of yourself when it's over.

Cheers!

Kris is, after all...

...hmm

...let's see

uh...

*scratching head*

hmm...

Got it!

Harmless!

SA

Awe darn!

Ok, I'll go stand in the corner now..

*mumbling* they never let me have any fun...

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
Kris is, after all...

...hmm

...let's see

uh...

*scratching head*

hmm...

Got it!

Harmless!

SA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back