AOW shake down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Desertlifter
There are options, though all of them cost. A heavier BP can be nice, but not cheap (I have one for my rebreather and it was $200). If you want to try it out sometime, I can loan it to you for a weekend (as I dive during the week).
Also trim pockets are nice. You can even add a third cylinder band for an extra set to fine tune trim. When it comes to weighting, the key is to have just enough for your shallowest stop with nearly empty cylinder(s). And equally important is weight distribution for you to be able to effortlessly be in a horizontal position.

@Desertlifter
There are options, though all of them cost. A heavier BP can be nice, but not cheap (I have one for my rebreather and it was $200). If you want to try it out sometime, I can loan it to you for a weekend (as I dive during the week).
Also trim pockets are nice. You can even add a third cylinder band for an extra set to fine tune trim. When it comes to weighting, the key is to have just enough for your shallowest stop with nearly empty cylinder(s). And equally important is weight distribution for you to be able to effortlessly be in a horizontal position.
Thanks so much for the offer - I am still a long way toward getting sorted, although my AOW dives gave me a ton of fodder to work with. I was actually diving without my trim pockets, so I really don't have to mess with much. I was sitting pretty solid at 15' without really trying, which is a good sign. I was wearing ankle weights and don't know how I feel about them yet.

Hoping I can get back into the Sound in May, then I'm off to Maui for a family reunion / birthday for my mom. Probably won't need anything at all other than trim pockets on the island.

So I completed my AOW this weekend and had a blast. There. I said it. Learned some stuff, dove some cool places, and did my best to violate every tenet of the "no new gear" thing.

I have gear. New gear. Gear-gasmic status even. DGX BP/W, HOG reg set, Apollo drysuit, new light...only thing not new was my gloves and fins. I'd been renting before last weekend, so I've always had new stuff anyway, right? It went famously well. Class was comprised of 2 or at most 3 divers per instructor/divemaster.

First dive was a night dive on Redondo Beach (Puget Sound, not Cali), a site I've dove quite a few times. This was my first night dive however. I've been wanting to go over to the VW for a while, so we did. Viz was amazing. Saw the baby wolf eel who has been hanging out there. New hi-viz console was a great choice. More to come on that. We had lights and backups as well as blinkers on our backs, maintained formation, and had a blast. Learned the importance of signaling not under (that was easy when used to horrible visibility anyway), but in particular at the surface.

Next morning we went down to Sund Rock for the next 3 dives. Our group rented the site to have all for us alone, which was nice. Did deep, nav, and buoyancy work there while enjoying tons of critters on the two walls. Rained the entire day and viz was blown out, with less than a foot until you got below 50'. Have to go back there. Failed miserably at getting the least bit narced, as did my sister. Is there a genetic component? Other than suit squeeze, I could have been at 60'.

Final day was a current dive at Titlow Beach, near the Narrows Bridge. It was colder with water at 44 degrees and feeling it. Tons of nudis in the pilings. Buoyancy was interesting when paired with current and about 10' variance in depth as we lapped the site. Lasted well over 50 minutes since it was shallow. Messed with weighting more, learned more about dealing with the current - I've done some drift dives but not current like this.

Did I learn a lot? Probably not a lot, but for the price I paid getting 5 guided dives isn't a bad deal IMO. Had plenty of time to debrief each dive and was very happy with the experience

Now equipment. @Jim Lapenta helped me select my HOG reg, and I love the whole setup, from the streamlined hi visibility console to the breathing quality. I flipped completely upside down on my back on several occasions poking around for critters, and the HOG breathed nice and dry. The current was pretty heavy for a while and even then I had no issues. Granted I've been diving rental rigs, but I'm very happy with my setup. Current was strong enough that one of the students had free flow issues.

The Apollo drysuit was crazy easy to manage and kept me mostly warm with just a basic undergarment layer and a fleece vest. Water temps were 44-47 degrees or less down deep.

DGX backplate and wing are a no brainerr, or a BPW in general. I felt like I had nothing on my back all weekend. So happy I went straight there instead of starting with a back inflate or worse yet jacket. I'm pretty short, so the cummerbunds on them are crazy uncomfortable. Having 2 tank straps should be mandatory as I didn't even notice my tank. There were a couple of times that I thought my should strap was loose, but it was just my inflator. I built my BPW with one of the adjustable/cinchable keepers and it is great for doffing and donning my gear.

Only thing that I am mulling over now (well, not only) is my weighting. I used a weight belt this weekend and it was a huge pain. How comfy are the weight harnesses with a BPW? Having LCE seems a good idea. I don't need much - I'm using just 24 pounds with this setup and sinking/staying down just fine even with Al tanks. Part of me just thinks I should get a channel weight and add some weight in trim pouches, but I'd prefer having enough ditchable weight just in case.
Weight harness it great. No worry about the weight belt sliding off. Highly recommended. Weight. I am a 6ft, 180 pounds (fat) male, and dive with a 26-pound wing, weight harness, and 1 continuous piece of webbing for my gear in a 7mm wetsuit or drysuit depending on the day and FFM. I have the following weights: SS backplate=6pounds; Steel 100 CF Worthington Steel 3442 psi tank= 6lbs and 6 pounds of lead for a total of 18 pounds for 7mm wet suit and 180 pounds 6ft male.

I was sitting pretty solid at 15' without really trying, which is a good sign.
Though that's the traditional standard, keep in mind that in cold water with thick neoprene, your buoyancy may change 7# or more as you ascend the last 15 feet, to the positive! Without being a little overweighted at the safety stop, you risk an accelerated ascent right when your offgassing is also accelerating. I try to have my last 15 feet take 2-3 minutes on longer, deeper or repetitive dives, which is no longer a Basic Scuba topic, nor one that is even covered in OW/AOW.

This does not apply to 3mm neoprene wearers...

Thread Recreational Ascent Rate in the last 15 feet

I have had a bunch of discussions about just this with my MUCH more experienced brother in law (100s of dives vs. my 10s). He always maintains that one should be slightly (not hugely) over weighted. I'm diving in 4mm crushed neoprene with is a lot easier to maintain buoyancy than the 7mm farmer John I used previously. I added 2 pounds to my usual rig on Maui last month and it was actually helpful.

I have had a bunch of discussions about just this with my MUCH more experienced brother in law (100s of dives vs. my 10s). He always maintains that one should be slightly (not hugely) over weighted. I'm diving in 4mm crushed neoprene with is a lot easier to maintain buoyancy than the 7mm farmer John I used previously. I added 2 pounds to my usual rig on Maui last month and it was actually helpful.
Let's put two pounds in context: most folks can vary their buoyancy by at least 4 pounds with just their lungs....so you can make yourself a little more buoyant if needed just by breathing in a bit...
Carrying an extra 2 pounds it not going to ruin your dive. Your weighting changes by 5-6 pounds during a dive anyway just because of the loss of the weight of the gas you've used up. So the fuzzy zone is 2-3-4-5 pounds....that needs to be dialed in for one's personal comfort and gear. The trick is not carrying too much weight, meaning 5-10 pounds more than you really need. There is no way around it, if you are "perfect" at the end of the dive, then you will be heavy by 4-6 pounds at the beginning. And if you are "perfect" at the beginning of the dive, you'll be a cork and unable to hold a safety stop at the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom