AOW right after OWD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a checkout dive in the Maldives ... despite the fact that I had more dives and training than the dive guide who evaluated me. He didn't seem to comprehend why I did the whole dive inverted ... which is how I like to view tiny critters on a coral reef. When we came back in he asked me if I needed more weight ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Heh, I only invert like that when I'm looking beneath something, like table corals. The checkout portion of my first dive consisted of me doing mask remove&replace and reg recovery, then we went down to 30m and did wreck penetration. I can't however claim more experience/dives than the guide, because it happened to be the dive center owner who grew up in french carribean(Martinique) and has been diving since he was 8, and also works as a commercial diver.

He didn't seem to comprehend why I did the whole dive inverted ... which is how I like to view tiny critters on a coral reef. When we came back in he asked me if I needed more weight ... :rofl3:

I would have asked the same thing TBH. I can't understand why someone would want to spend a whole dive upside down.... unless maybe they were just showing off :wink:

I would have asked the same thing TBH. I can't understand why someone would want to spend a whole dive upside down.... unless maybe they were just showing off :wink:

Got nothin' to do with showing off ... it's just easier to see and photograph stuff that way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This has been a very educational thread. My wife and I have completed our course work and CW training. My wife and I will be in Belize (with referrals in hand) this summer to complete our OW, and a week later will enjoy a week of diving on the Aggressor. We are in the perpetual student mode. By the end of the summer we'll hopefully have about 30 dives and then I'll be back in Belize for some work in October and will hopefully add 5 plus dives at that time. Honestly, I think $150 or so for AOW is pretty cheap as far as training is concerned. I have a doctorate and every step of the way I paid hefty tuition to have professors critique my learning process, in understanding and experience. Scuba is a deal IMHO. And the benefits look to be worth it for safety and for experiencing the magnificent beauty of the undersea world. Scubaboard is a wonderful tool! Thank you all!

Last edited:
While I have gone inverted to get a shot under certain circumstances, I have found that horizontal trim with gauges secured tight around my chest is by the far the most efficient.

I struggle to see how being inverted for the whole dive has anything to do with photography.

Got nothin' to do with showing off ... it's just easier to see and photograph stuff that way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In my admittedly limited diving experience, I've found that when the group's all crowding around trying to look in the same hole, it's easier for me to drift up, roll over uspide down then stick my head in from the top to see what the fuss is about. Then I don't have to back out through a gauntlet of fins when this nudibranch fails to excite me. Plus I really enjoy the range of motion. Hanging upside down is fun.

While I have gone inverted to get a shot under certain circumstances, I have found that horizontal trim with gauges secured tight around my chest is by the far the most efficient.

I struggle to see how being inverted for the whole dive has anything to do with photography.

Maybe Bob is a closet Australian?

It makes it easier for me to see things. Besides, it's fun ... which is, I believe, the whole point of diving.

Sometimes efficiency isn't the priority ... especially in an environment where there's a nice, modest current taking you where you want to go.

My gauges are secured tightly around my wrists, so it doesn't much matter what my orientation happens to be.

Why should it matter to you that I choose a different orientation than you do? If it works for me ... and I'm showing good buoyancy control ... why should you assume anything? As a hired guide, it's not your place to tell me how to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

He didn't seem to comprehend why I did the whole dive inverted ... which is how I like to view tiny critters on a coral reef. When we came back in he asked me if I needed more weight ... :rofl3:

Perhaps the 'laughter icon' did it. Personally I don't care how you dive- however you seemed to imply that the guide was a fool for asking you if you needed more weight. Again, I would have asked the same question.

Perhaps the 'laughter icon' did it. Personally I don't care how you dive- however you seemed to imply that the guide was a fool for asking you if you needed more weight. Again, I would have asked the same question.

When you know your client has logged thousands of dives, has years of technical diving experience, and is a scuba instructor, asking them if they're properly weighted is a foolish question. You can believe that if I needed more weight, I'd ask for more weight.

Perhaps if the guide didn't treat me like a beginner diver, I wouldn't imply he was a fool.

I understand that the majority of your clients can barely survive underwater ... I saw plenty of evidence of that when I was there. But the "one size fits all" approach strikes me as distasteful ... and a disservice to your more experienced clients. Most folks who know what they're doing don't like to be nannied.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom