AOW immediately after OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will not allow my students to take AOW before they get an additional 10 dives or so in and I may still want to do one or two with them to be sure that the skills they were taught in OW have been sufficiently developed. The reason for this is that my AOW class does have ALOT of new skills introduced that require them to have their buoyancy down fairly well.

I do go over some basics again like mask removal and replace but they must be able to do it in a horizontal position without changing depth, while swimming, and in conjunction with other skills. We shoot bags, deploy redundant air supplies, do rescue from depth of an unconscious diver, as well as Nav skills, Search and Recovery, lift bag usage, deep stops, AAS ascents with no mask and one diver with a faulty bc (I disconnect the inflator hose). I do not do tour AOW courses. And this class can result in no card if the skills are not performed to my satisfaction.

The reason most people take AOW classes is because they want to do what are known in the industry as advanced dives. Those beyond 60 feet where gas management becomes MUCH more important, low vis or night dives, dives in currents, etc. These dives while still within recreational limits do pose more risk than the 30 foot look at the fishies on the reef dive. It only stands to reason then that the limited skills taught in many OW courses today are not to the level that these dives require. And an AOW class that is not much more than tour when the basics have not yet been sufficiently developed really does not prepare someone for a dive to the well deck on the grove or a night dive on a bottomless wall.

In short if you cannot seamlessly do the basis skills in a horizontal position, maintain buoyancy and trim, calculate your gas usage, or stay with your buddy so that no more than a head turn is required to know where they are AT ALL TIMES, you should get more dives in before thinking of doing a course that will let you get into alot more trouble alot faster. Get with some experienced divers and just dive. Many shops will also allow you go along on weekend outings as long as you don't expect them to take time from their class to help you for free.

A tip or word of advice here and there is usually given but if you're not paying for the instruction don't expect them to hold your hand. A shop that won't let you do this is probably one to stay away from. I invite my former students to come along on every dive outing I do that they are qualified to do. Hopefully they'll see something that will make them want to do more training but the best outcome is that they just keep diving on a regular basis.

And Rich and Leapfrog are correct. Too many OW courses are, sadly, so watered down that the students really don't even have an idea of what a diver is supposed to look like, let alone have the basic knowledge to get there. Those courses that stress good buoyancy, proper buddy postion, and the other basics usually result in a diver that is FULLY capable of planning their own dive with a buddy of EQUAL skill and training, executing the dive, and returning safely. Why anyone would accept less than that is a shame and any instructor who gives cards to people who can't do that should be ashamed.

Most all the boat charter diving in SE Florida is in excess of 60ft which makes the immediate progression into AOW (supervised diving) a very good idea IMO. Anywhere else and I would agree to get some practice in before enrolling into AOW...

Most all the boat charter diving in SE Florida is in excess of 60ft which makes the immediate progression into AOW (supervised diving) a very good idea IMO. Anywhere else and I would agree to get some practice in before enrolling into AOW...

Rushing into AOW just so you can dive below 60 feet probably isn't the right reason to take the class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Everybody makes good points for and against going AOW right after OW. But the supervised dives argument falls a little short with me. Like JimLap, I always try to get my students out diving with me after I certify them to keep them interested. I pick sites that are within their limits. This way, they get more dives and stay committed. I insist that they rely on their buddy and not me when they go. I trained them to do this, but human nature - being how it is - causes them to sometimes depend on me more than they should. Usually about four dives after certification, I'll sit out a beach dive so they have to plan the dive and dive it on their own.

In SSI, we have a 24 dive requirement for AOW. So you're going to get the experience before you get the card. Which is a good thing since I don't believe 9 dives makes an advanced open water diver. Only experience can do that. When I started diving, I wasn't interested in AOW until I had 22 dives. I did some specialties though. SSI requires four specialties for AOW as well.

I understand where the shop is coming from as well. I've found that if you take your time, divers will come back to you for further training.

Just dive. That's why you got certified. Right? Stay within the limits of your training, experience, and comfort level.

Last edited:
I have seen instructors push the nitrox dive during the OWcert. I actually recommend to do like 20 dives and then I want you to read your OW book again. Then you will realize that there is a ton of really good info in that book. To much info without practical experience is not good. And remember it is those people their job to sell you stuff. Got a divecomputer yet? If you feel presured it is probably too early. When you feel ready and want to, go for it. It is important to be the best diver you can be. Safety first. Oh, that nitrox diver came up after 12 minutes with an empty tank! Clearly not ready !

Rushing into AOW just so you can dive below 60 feet probably isn't the right reason to take the class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Area specific. There is no organized diving above that depth between Stuart Florida and Pompano Beach with somewhat challenging drift diving.

Last edited:
There are lots of dives shallower than 60 ft in SE Florida.

They are some, problem is the charter boats don't go there because the diving 55ft and greater is expodentially better. I certified my neice's and newphew's in the past few years and that was my position then and I see no reason change advising other folks.

Thanks to all, will wait till I get a few dives before I go for the AOW.

I'm actually one case that I just got my OW, and went almost immediately into AOW. The motive at your dive shop probably *is* money related...but speaking from my experience, I found that all the interesting dive opportunities in my area were deep water, from a boat - so I really needed to continue on to do things that would be fun and worthwhile. Just a thought (guess it depends where you're located, too.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom