AOW gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not recommend a spool as a primary reel. You will likely be swimming more than 100-150 ft on several wrecks so you would be better off w/ a primary w/ at least 400' of line. Keeping couple of spools are not a bad idea, but use them for blowing bags or as a safetly reel.

I consider "real" wreck diving to mean deep wrecks and penetration. I agree w/ the BP/W but you should not be relying on a pony in this environment. If this is what you want to do get the training to do it and start diving doubles.

I see where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree with you.

That said, we're talking PADI recreational diving; "real" wreck diving is specialized and far beyond the scope of recreational wreck diving certs.

For the AOW wreck adventure dive, penetration is not allowed. For the Wreck Diver Specialty course, "...penetration-training dives are to be limited to within the light zone and within 40 m/130 ft from the surface, vertical and horizontal distance included."

As such, I wouldn't worry about having a reel for the AOW dive; this really is a try-out kind of thing, intended to teach certain considerations and, to some degree, reemphasize the importance of further training before penetrating. If going straight on to the specialty course, 125' is plenty.

You may, of course, move on and end up needing more equipment, but I'd get a cheap-o 125', if anything, for now and spend the big bucks on the right equipment, once you have the experience to know what the right equipment for you is.

The infamous Doing it Right site.

I spent a couple hours reading this entire site about 2 years ago. Made me ashamed to be from NJ.

The infamous Doing it Right site.

I spent a couple hours reading this entire site about 2 years ago. Made me ashamed to be from NJ.

So now we know where you are from. Elizabeth (NJ) General Hospital for me...

It is not a DIR site, IMHO, rather a particular wreck diver's take on things. And the author gives his take on DIR. New Jersey Scuba Diver - Dive Gear & Training - DIR - Doing It Right ?

I found the entire site very informative.

But that is why there is vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Who said I was from Elizabeth? Hmmm, assuming things neither stated nor implied.

I thought some of the advice given was rather solid, but the context and backdrop was incredibly disappointing.

Who said I was from Elizabeth? Hmmm, assuming things neither stated nor implied.

I thought some of the advice given was rather solid, but the context and backdrop was incredibly disappointing.

No one said YOU were from Elizabeth; I said I was... Clearly as 100ft viz.

DOH!

100ft vis is pretty low in this neck of the woods....

(that's my story and I'm stickin to it!)

John56, thank you so much for your offer! For a newbie on scuba to get that kind of offer is nice. I still can't get my LDS to give me an answer on the next AOW(NAUI) course so I must wait. In the mean time I tried to get into their 'nitrox' course and that was cancelled 3 times! But I found another shop (PADI) that has a class this Wednesday, I'm in!

I did end up buying "The Survivor Reel" from Reefscuba.com. It's 300' of #36 line. Other than that I just have a back-up light, a 19cu.ft. pony bottle w/reg and octo.

Thanks for some good advice and I just might take you up on your offer.
Thanks again, Steve

Let me know when you are ready to start your class. Also, regarding the Jersey upline; ask them if it has to be sisal or if it can be nylon, and how much line you need on it. I know I have at least 1 of the old ones with sisal still on it, and 2 with nylon line, which are smaller. If you are doing your water work in the next few months, I only have a few dives planned to keep myself familiar with my new rebreather, and I don't really need a big light for those kinds of dives, so you are welcome to try both if you want. Pm me with details of when you need the stuff, and we can work out where to meet. I work in northeast NJ (Elizabeth) but will be down the shore at least a few times soon.

John Yurga

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom