AOW and Windy point report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukiedukie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI all I am back form Windy Point and now I know why it got the name. I arrived Firday afternoon around 4pm and got camp set up and the Surface Interval Sign up. with in 30 mintues I had company a Dive Master Canidate (Jay) her daughter her boyfreind. After I got camp set up Dantex showed up and we got a short 30 minute dive when my computer batteries gave up the ghost and we bagged the dive. So he is Offically a SWAMP DIVER. There was another group set up right across from me and Jay that where a blast to hang out with. We all hit it off great and we had the fun camp; we also had some nosiy drum beating singing neighbors that had plans to go all night but Mother Nature stepped in and stopped them. I do not know what was worse the storm or the drums and that was not a joke. The storm hit around 2am and made sure we all knew it was there with hail tons of rain and wind gust that had to over 50mph. All in all the Surface Interval group made it out fine we had some water in the tent but there where a few EZ Ups that got destoyed.

Saturday class dives where supposed to be PPB, Nav, and Night. I did decent on PPB and found out that I can not navigate my way out of a wet paper bag. LOL I did fine on the land portion of it but in the water I stunk it up. The night was called off due to some ugly storms that rolled in right as we where going out to dinner (Joes Crab Shack). We did find out that Troy and Deraw can not navigate to a Joes Crab Shack with a GPS unit so I did not feel so bad about my Nav dives. LOL I got seated at the "FUN TABLE" with a couple of open water students Jay and her crew. After we got back from dinner the skies where clear and there where tons of stars. We had a pretty good fireworks show provided by Scuba Lad Adventures shop manager. We where all pretty beat and class started Sunday at 8am so it was an ealry bed time for us that had to do the Deep dive.

Sunday started out as planned with the deep dive followed by DPV and Search and recovery. Deep was fun, cold and spooky as we hit the top of the Pecan groves but we came out of it okay. I hate to say it but I wish we could have stayed longer and play some more rock paper sizzors be it was time to go and up we went. when we got around 20 feet my buddy started going vertical. A dive master grabbed him and pulled him down and I got the rear dump till he was negative. That was the only incident on the deep dive. I did much better in the Nav work in SandR then in the Nav dives found the anchor and tank pretty quick but my buddy lost one of the two ropes so I had to improvise and tie both objects to one lift bag. The DPV was a Mako and it was a blast on my own but I did not like the the buddy tow on the tank valve. Once again my Nav work showed it lacking of skill and we some how missed the platform on the way back and found the stairs. After surfaceing and finding the platform we got back over there and dropped back down were I goosed the DM canidate and made her laugh and Debraw laugh. That was the end of my day of diving but I still had alot of work to do. A camp to break and firgue out how to pack wet muddy stuff in my car.

All in all it was a great weekend and I was the last SIS Diver to leave the park but as I was leaving there was a report of a woman unconssius in the water. I do not know if it was a diver or swimmer but as I pulled out of the park to marked SUV's pulled in and I was passed by the ambulance and pumper truck on their way in. My thoughts are with her and I do hope that she is fine. (there where alot of divers and a few swimmers)

I do hope everyone made it home safe and I hope Jay joins the forums as she is now a Swamp Diver and looking for people to dive with. I will see if i can drag her here. Well I got some gear that needs washing and so do I that is all for know

I thought about you guys out there. If I knew how to contact you I would have had you to my house. We had three empty DRY beds and you could have stood outside with me about 2 AM when my roof was shaking. Congratulations on finishing your AOW. I can't wait to get my head opened up so I can start diving again. The lake will probably be full again before I can get in. We have more storms coming in again tonight. We need the rain though.

Good thing they were not camping out Thursday night when we had hurricane force wind....still have a lot of folks without power since thursday.....lots of large trees down . Friday nights storm was also bad we had some small hail at our house....

congrats Lukiedukie....sounds like you had a great time.

Grats Lukie!! I look forward to diving with you again soon.

I hear you on the navigation, I got soooo lost at CSSP and Athens hahaha.

khacken:
Grats Lukie!! I look forward to diving with you again soon.

I hear you on the navigation, I got soooo lost at CSSP and Athens hahaha.

Thanks

If you get lost at CSSP try it at Travis mid water knowing full well that your over 100' of water :yleyes: Lot to keep track of

Back
Top Bottom